Used 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Been a great car
By usedlux

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I owned this car for 10 years and loved it. The transmission started to act up, so I am moving on.

Don't Believe the Hype!
By AJ Foster

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2nd accord over 3 years ago with 90k miles on it. My first '92 accord had nearly 200k and the only problem was w/ the cruise control and a rough transmission. My '99 has a faulty transmission that's slipping as well, the lights in my dash dim periodically, cruise control doesn't work AT ALL, the auto locks in my rear doors are now manual, I need new ball joints, i had to purchase an extended warranty for my battery b/c it continuously dies. I must admit that as I am approaching 175k, that car still starts without a glitch, but the "quality" that Honda is expected to have mastered is only hype. This is the 4th Honda my family has had, and the 4th one with transmission issues.

Favorite Features

radio controls on the dash, lasting style, handling.

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION, road/wind noise, lower bucket seats (I'm 5'11" and even at the lowest setting, I still feel like my heads touching the ceiling)

Keep shopping
By Cynthia

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought a 99 Honda Accord EX V6 Engine, three months ago. When I bought the car it had 64,000 miles. Less than 2 months later the transmission went on me...what a headache when you are 200 miles from home. There has also been several recalls on the vehicles ignition switch. Even after having the ignition completely replaced, my key would get stuck in the ignition...another headache. I brought it back to the dealership 4x for the same problem. Finally, or so I hope, they have pin-pointed that when the tranny was replaced, the gear shifter was not aligned properly (???) which caused the key to get stuck. Let's see what happens. In any event, I am frustrated with all the problems I have.

Favorite Features

The only feature I do like is the sunroof and audio volume keys on the steering wheel, whoop-ee!

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats...Also, I feel like I am sitting on a mountain as I am driving, the seats are so high up even when adjusted to the lowest manual setting.

Reliable Car
By gyori

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I was looking to buy a reliable car. I did my research and the Accord seemed like a good bet. I was right. So far, the only problem I've had is the alternator went bad. I change the oil every 3K miles and the car performs well. The leather interior is very comfortable. The auto temp air conditioner is great and very cold. Unlike, most cars I've had, this car hasn't had the "little" problems (interior falling apart) that come with time. Everything is where it's supposed to be. The handling could be better, but it is a family sedan after all. Overall, I'm very happy with the car.

Favorite Features

Interior comforts. Reliablity. V6- 200hp engine.

Suggested Improvements

The stock sound system get a 3 on my 1- 10 scale. Fuel economy-17mpg.

disappointed
By aposak

1999 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

A previous Accord owner, I am highly disappointed by this car. The interior is thoughtfully laid out and very nice. The styling is alright. The performance does not meet my expectations at all. I expected better than 20 mpg (my previous 4-cyl Accord averaged 31). The transmission is terrible! Previous owner had it replaced, but still doesn't shift well at all. This is my first Honda automatic, and my last for sure. I'll either go with a manual 4- cyl or look at a different brand.

Favorite Features

Legendary Honda reliability (even on the clunky tranny), powerful engine, steering wheel radio controls, dual action moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

better transmission, memory power seats, better tilt steering mechanism and telescoping steering wheel, higher quality radio, dash lights are burning out. If Honda wants to make a luxury- style car, they should go all the way.