Used 1998 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Honest opinion
By bw

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

Overall a nice car. Value, style, driving experience are nice features. Gas mileage 19- 26 depending on tires and driving style. Throttle body sticks, transmission sometimes shifts poorly, alternator and pwr lock died at 72k.

Favorite Features

Styling, value, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

More reliable engineering. Honda needs to recall some of these problems.

All tear'd up!
By bug4

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well, I'm not in tears, but, after 10 faithful years, I handed over my 98 LX Accord last month for a new 08 EX-L Accord. In 10 years of service and 150,000 miles, I had not one mechanical problem or breakdown! 3 sets of tires, regular maintenance and one set of struts was the extent of this car's "care." I never even had to replace the brake pads! It was getting 31 mpg and not burning a drop of oil when I let her go. Makes me wonder why I traded it in, or not. My new Accord is sweet!

Favorite Features

Reliability, fuel economy and large size, stylish but timeless body style.

Never lets me Down
By HAPPYNVA

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had the car nearly three years and do a lot of driving. Other than routine maintenance, I've never had anything fail. Of course you always hear about the ones that have problems out on these reviews-you don't hear about all the ones that are perfect and there are many! Am hoping that this Honda keeps never letting me down as it has been a pleasure to own and still looks great!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, reliability!

Suggested Improvements

None

Bought New
By arthur

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Had this car since new, now that they are older this car is not as comfortable or as quiet as the Camry, also had to repair this car more than the Toyota, great styling in and out but needs better reliability, also both service and parts cost more. I guess that's why the resale value is better than the Camry, owners have to spend more maintaining this car.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling.

Suggested Improvements

More refinement and improve stereo. Even the topline EX stereo doesn't sound good.

Happy Honda owner
By Lori

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

Love my Accord and will probably have more. But, the check engine light has been a nuisance. And, I was shocked to need a $2,700 new transmission at 143,000! Had EGR problems (at 31k, 71k, and 105k) which were under warranty; an evaporative system failure (at 54k) repaired for a small fee; and a new catalytic converter and something about the transmission (at 131k) for a heftier fee. When the transmission failed, I talked to American Honda about my disappointment in the reliability that I had so confidently bought into. Honda agreed to provide a new transmission for free, and I paid the $855 labor charge. This was fair in my opinion, and Iím back to being happy Honda owner.

Favorite Features

Comfy seat, easy to see out of the vehicle, roomy. Conveniently located buttons. Ventilation has 'full auto' feature. Good pick up, feels new even though it's not

Suggested Improvements

Speed adjusted volume, heated seats