1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Gas
By JoJohn on 07/26/05 16:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

The car runs fantastic! I love it... the best 17th b-day gift I've recieved! Makes a difference when premium gas is used! That may have also something to do with the EGR clogs I've read about.

Great Car!
By Cheri on 07/20/05 22:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Before my Honda I had two Chevy Berettas. They were money guzzlers (over $8000 not including purchase cost!). The only money I've put into my Accord was for sway bar link and bearings (about $60 total) and a starter (about $150). I'll be spending about $500 more in a few weeks when the 105,000 maintainance comes up, but to me it's well worth it. My Accord has always been reliable (I bought it used 3.5 years ago), cost efficient, and great on gas! (I laugh at those pulling up to the filling station in Suburbans and pickups :D). I'm completely sold in imports thanks to this car. Thanks Honda!

Disappointed
By Karl on 06/26/05 23:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first Honda -- after owning a Nissan, Mazda and VW. I was expecting legendary reliability. Bought as a certified car with 40,000 miles on it. Now have 100,000. Not used to having things go wrong on the cars I own. Am probably spending in the neighborhood of $100 a month on repairs (seems like every 3-4 months it costs me about $300-$400). Probably won't buy a Honda again. My Nissans, Mazda's and VW's were much more reliable.

Excellent choice
By cl8855 on 05/17/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This was the first car I bought myself 7 years ago. Choices were things like the Nissan Maxima, Volkswagen Passat, Chevy Malibu and the Accord. Boy am I glad I chose this one. Reasons for purchase were #1 reliability, #2 fit and finish, #3 good pricing (cheaper than both Passat and Maxima). Over the years I have replaced only the tires and the brakes in 75000 miles. Not once have I had to bring it in to the shop for any reason other than standard maintenance. Plan on keeping this car for another 7 yrs/75000 miles for sure.

Look for another car
By CBaker on 04/25/05 20:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 2dr Coupe

Tranmission replaced at 56,000. Tranmission going out again at 85,000. This will be 2nd tranmission in under 100,000 miles. Not reliable. Failed emissions test the first year I had it due to recall. Poor Honda customer service. This car is a money pit.

World's greatest-150k and running
By Honda4Life on 04/22/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 2dr Coupe

I am on my second Honda, over 150K. I had an 84 Accord in high school, and I know I would own a new one post graduation. I've driven Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Nissan.... Dont compare, dont compete!! Love my Honda, plan to get SUV or Ridgeline in near future. Classy car for a single mom with boys. They cant wait to sport it. Honda, please give me more power, maybe a V8? Otherwise, LOVE LOVE LOVE my HONDA! replaced EGR valve and 2 motormounts, 2 recalls on ignition switch, and I still love it, glad I went with coupe instead of sedan (due to transmission issues I was warned of by Honda Technicians)

Comfortable / Reliable cruiser
By Ed on 04/02/05 17:01 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from my father in law with 80k miles on it. For the most part it has not failed to meet my high expectations for a Honda . I have had brake work and wheel bearings replaced, but that is expected in NY after 7 winters. Only other problem was a burned out alternator at 120k. Other than that, has never has a problem during the past 3 years, and I am hard on my cars. The odometer currently reads 132,000 and my goal is to hit 200k. I also own a 2004 accord, same model, and that is the only reason my ratings for this car are not higher. The newest model is a huge step forward in overall refinement. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong purchasing a honda.

It's Pretty Good
By big boy on 03/26/05 02:40 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

The car has good acceleration and handling. Automatic gear changes are a little harsh. Cruise control accelaration has too much response. The driver seat comfort needs improvement. Car looks good and has never left me stranded. The ERG device clogged several times which cost me but overall it's been a good car through 150,000 miles. No recurring problems aside from (3) ERG problems.

The best car ever!
By Steven Mark on 03/20/05 07:03 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This car is wonderful. It has 101,000 miles and it still has the best pickup even with a v4 engine with 164 Horsepower and it has a very quiet engine except for a little road noise and a little bit of noise but nothing big at all. The ride is as good as an Acura and almost as good as a Toyota Avalon or a Toyota Camry. It is a better ride then the Mercury Grand Marquis or Mercury Sable or Ford Taurus or Focus. The Accord has the best seats, radio, and cd player

Don't Buy Accord V6
By lofosuad on 03/14/05 01:40 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

On 4/16/98 I purchased my second Honda, an accord EX V6. On 2/12/99 I replaced the transmission computer, under warranty. On 5/19/00 there was a recall. At 100K after first engine tune-up, the alternator dies $275. A few weeks later the transmission goes out $3100, then the check engine light comes on, something about EGR valve $500. The check engine is back on again; all this on top of expensive maintenance costs. The car has 109K miles on it, I am thinking about selling it. My advice to you is don't buy the accord V6 at least not the 98-01 model it was designed to break down. My girl friend has similar problems with 98 LX