1998 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Don't Buy Accord V6
By lofosuad on 03/14/05 01:40 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

On 4/16/98 I purchased my second Honda, an accord EX V6. On 2/12/99 I replaced the transmission computer, under warranty. On 5/19/00 there was a recall. At 100K after first engine tune-up, the alternator dies $275. A few weeks later the transmission goes out $3100, then the check engine light comes on, something about EGR valve $500. The check engine is back on again; all this on top of expensive maintenance costs. The car has 109K miles on it, I am thinking about selling it. My advice to you is don't buy the accord V6 at least not the 98-01 model it was designed to break down. My girl friend has similar problems with 98 LX

Great car- 110,000 miles and counting
By mark-pa on 02/24/05 12:27 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Bought new summer 98 w/ 4 cyl w/ 5 spd manual. Had rear wheel bearings replaced at 37K; warranty covered. Replaced timing belt and water pump at 90K, battery at 105K - no problems, but preventative. New cat converter at 110,000. Beware- nearly a grand for this one. Overall, a very dependable, classy looking car at a reasonable price. Handles well with right tires. The 5 speed manual compensates for the lower powered 4 cyl engine. But 30+ mpg highway more than makes up for the lower power. Keep the oil changed regularly- it should run to 200k plus- know people who have done it.I bought based on Honda reputation, and would buy Honda again.

Very Reliable Car
By Kyaw Naing on 02/18/05 20:42 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I've owned Honda Accords for 15 years and I'm on my 5th Accord. They all were good cars (except the very 1st 1979). I sold my 2nd Accord at 200K miles. The 98 Accord by far the best car. It has about 120K miles and has been very reliable. Still drives like new. There was no major mechanical problem so far. However, I had occasional check engine warnings mostly from a few bad oxygen sensors. I took those warnings seriously when the car was new. But lately, I just ignored them. To my surprise the warnings just disappeared by themselves. Just hoping that the car will quit on me soon so that I've an excuse to buy a new one. But seems like, it'll be another 10yrs for me to get a new car!

Not as Reliabe as I thought
By STLbill7982 on 01/14/05 23:50 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this '98 from my sister this September. I am disappointed with what I thought would be a reliable car. The car vibrates a lot at idle - it almost feels like a massage chair from the Sharper Image. The 'check engine' light never turns off, even though the dealer assured me nothing is wrong. The car is noisy relative to GM cars that I have owned in the past. The rims make contact with curbs before the tires do, and as a result the rims are very scratched. The engine has littel power - sometimes I feel like I could get out and run faster.

First (Japanese Car) Honda Accord EX
By Don W. on 12/24/04 17:27 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in Dec 2004 with 69000 on it from the original owners. Happy so far. Good gas mileage andcomfortable ride. I have had to put an O2 sensor in it after 1 week of ownership. Something that you can't predict of going out. I will keep you informed of my feelings of the car.

Solid, reliable, inexpensive transport
By Danmohiuddin on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Honda which I just bought used with 60K on it. If this Honda is anything like my first Honda (1990 CRX) then this Accord will be a gem to own and drive. Being in grad school I love the fact of the low maintenance and low cost to own. Regarding gas mileage this is easy on the pocket book and also peppy (5 speed) and fun as well. I have heard nothing but positive remarks from Honda owners and I am confident that this will be one of many Hondas I purchase over the course of my lifetime

Good but not Great
By khym on 10/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first Honda. Previously I have owned Nissans, Mazdas and Volkswagens. The car is excellent interior room, big trunk, good acceleration and overall it is a good car -- not a great car. I have been somewhat disappointed by it's reliability. My previous cars were all more reliable. I have had several repairs and two recalls. Would I buy a Honda again -- probably. But I would look seriously at a Camry, a Mazda6, a Passat, a Maxima, and perhaps a 3-4 year old Lexus.

Excellents across the board!
By Monica on 10/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I love my Accord! Bought it used in 2003...all I've had to replace is the catalytic converter! Awesome vehicle! My aunt had an 89 for 15 years then fell in love with a 2004 model and traded it in! Great cars!

Great Car
By jkzn on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The best car I have ever owned in terms of reliability and build quality I just drove a new Taurus and my 6 year old Accord drives smoother and quieter.

Transmission sucks
By camille on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

At 62,000 miles the transmission gave out, cost $1,300 to replace with another vtec, which after 15,000 gave out again. It has no take off speed and is dangerous to drive with an unreliable transmission. It neutralized in the middle of the high- way. Gas mileage sucks, wont buy anther one.