Used 1998 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

1998 EX V6 Accord 160,000
By 1998Miles

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased with in '01 at 52,000. Now 160,050. Broken/Replaced: alternator, EGR twice! That's the only mechanical failure. Shifts hard around 2nd gear, but has always done that. All mechanics have said there's nothing wrong. At 10 yrs old, it impresses friends and mechanics by its maintained appearance. Has held paint real well. Change oil and filter myself every 3k/3 months. I purchased OE spoiler and fog lights. Could do without the spoiler, but the fog lights are great. Come in handy. Very $$ though. Engine's still smooth and quiet. has driven between FL and Boston and all points between many times over years. Great travel car, from Key West to NC mountains to downtown Boston!

Favorite Features

Fog lights, smooth, reliable engine, moon roof, steering wheel audio controls, engine and parts easy to understand by this weekend home mechanic, front and rear styling, simple interior controls, perfect AC, comfortable seats (front and back), spacious trunk. lastly: it still runs!

Suggested Improvements

Overall "moving" capacity. I do a lot of moving, and find it difficult to pack in boxes between trunk and back seat due to the construction. Considering hatchback or wagon in future. Gas mileage. Not what I'd hope from a Honda. 300 per tank in city. 400 a tank on highway (17 gallon tank).

Great car-wish I could order a duplicate
By WWII Flying Ace

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used with 7,000 miles. It now has 127k. Recall repair on ignition (never caused a problem) at 90k; New belts, hoses, timing belt, spark plugs at 100k ($700ish). Exterior rear driver's side door handle quit working at 105k--replaced this on my Civic once; will probably fix it if/when it's next in the shop, as I don't use the door too often. Working on fourth set of tires although the last two are low profile Nittos on 18" rims. Replaced front brake pads at 80k. A bit more road noise than I like due mainly to the aftermarket rims/tires. Change oil every 5k miles, adding a bit of Lucas Oil stabilizer--doesn't use a drop. Still gets 24-26mpg city; 27-31mpg hwy

Favorite Features

Car absolutely looks beautiful. I like the body style, and the original paint still buffs to a high gloss. Mechanically, the car is very solid, and routine maintenance is a snap.

Suggested Improvements

As addressed by Honda in subsequent models, additional gearing to compensate for lack of low-end torque; my LX needed an aftermarket CD player; all the glass lets in a lot of heat-- tint it dark if you legally can in your state.

still holding up
By rholloman

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car even after hitting 300,000 haven't had any major problems. The most expensive thing i had to replace was the Cadillac converter. It's very good on gas. I would buy any Honda car.

Suggested Improvements

The paint starts changing colors on the roof of the car over time.

A love, hate relationship
By MidwestAccord

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Has been extremely reliable up until recently, but it has 193,000+ miles on it so I can't be too harsh. Before the clutch slave cylinder went out about 5,000 miles ago, it had never broken down. Still a pretty fast car for its size and still surprises many people that have never been in one. I wish Honda had kept the sportier looking Japanese design for the exterior, but the front still looks great.I added a different intake, which I highly recommend doing for the great sound and surprising performance gain.

Favorite Features

Styling better than most others in its class in 98, decent power, great gas mileage even after so many miles.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap paint, the cheap plastic interior, wheels

I love this car
By VA in GA

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This has been an excellent vehicle and I'll probably replace it with another Honda. Repairs have been minimal and both the exterior and interior have held up quite well.

Favorite Features

Good handling in emergency situations; body style and features that are still pleasing 10 years later

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any; if I had any, they have probably already been implemented within the last 10 years.