1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Accord 98DX
By Mitch on 09/16/06 11:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

My 98 Honda Accord DX has been a real treat to own and drive. It is economical to drive and maintenance is almost non-existant. I have had no problems with this car in 8 years of ownership. Tires, lube, oil and a change of belts attached to the engine are the only things I have had to attend to. The interior is well thought out and the instruments well placed. The exterior is stylish and nice to look at.

Great used car!
By Jarry Hames on 09/13/06 12:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a last minute decision. I had a new Pathfinder and decided that the SUV was not for me. I'd owned a '95 EX Coupe and was not happy with it. I swore that I would never purchase another Honda. So I needed a car fast and a used Accord was almost a no brainer. I've been very happy with this car. There have been some minor repair issues here and there. I keep it maintained and it has been good to me. I only wish that the car was better on gas. Otherwise, it has been an excellent used car! How often does anyone say that about a used car?

ACCORD EX 4cyl
By AAC on 09/09/06 12:17 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Styling still looks good in and out after all these years. Good handling car, though has excessive road noise that penetrates the cabin especially on rough surfaces, not a problem on our same year (98) Toyota Camry , also not as reliable so far with 98000 replaced egr sensor @ 62000, cat converter @ 80000, & just recently replaced cv joints, will soon trade for a Toyota

Had major problems
By SSK on 08/12/06 00:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I was excited to purchase what I thought would be a reliable and great looking car, which also possessed an awesome Vtec engine. However, I was sadly mistaken. Gas meter broke around 10,000 miles and was fixed under warranty. Later engine was rewired free of charge due to potential fire hazards, according to the Dealership. Later I received a written notification that the engine switch had to be replaced due to complaints of stalling. Around 75,000 miles, the alternator had to be replaced along with the timing belt; air conditior also broke (friend has same problem). Finally, the transmission is almost completely broken.

15 Month Ownership
By Don W. on 03/10/06 06:41 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I have owned the car for 15 Months know and, so far OK. I really disappointed with the paint. The car is Silver in color and the paint is fading really bad on the roof, hood and trunk lid. If Honda knows this is a problem with paint they should fix the problem to keep there reputation. The transmission is starting to acting up, along with the brakes. The ABS doesn't seem to work and the front rotors are going to be replaced next week. I change my oil every 3500 miles and started noticing a low tapping with the car is started up in the morning. It also has a stick throttle when first started up, common problem with these cars. The car is really good on gas.

Winner!
By Mike in Albany on 02/25/06 06:19 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

A truly excellent car all the way around. Keep it maintained and you will be very, very pleased.

What Happened to Reliable Work?
By Christy Luper on 12/06/05 21:20 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I love Honda's. My first car was a 89' Accord, and I drove that car all over the U.S. and it never broke down on me. That car looked great, but it was getting really old, so I went for a newer Honda, and bought a 1998 Honda Accord, I love my car. It has everything I want in it. My only disapointment is the poor paint job. The paint is fading on the top of the car from sitting in the sun all day while I'm at work. Honda used to be the best quality car out there, but I am very disapointed in the cheap paint. But the car still runs great. but it will eventually look like a piece of junk, and that's really upsetting to me.

Good car - Transmission Trouble
By Mike on 11/08/05 17:16 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for 7 years. It is the second Accord I have owned, I also have a 1994. Overall this is a very good car. It was the first model year that the Honda increased the size of the vehicle. The car has been trouble free except for the transmission. At 75000 miles it started to slip between first and second gear. The dealer wanted over $4000 to fix it. My wife called Honda customer service and firmly complained. They extended the warranty on the later years. After just one call Honda covered the transmission cost. My cost $200. I was pleasantly surprised after 7 yrs they fixed it for $200.

LAST HONDA
By Linda on 11/08/05 14:07 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My first Honda was a Civic. Great car! This is my second Honda. Bad! I had to replace the transmission at 90,000 miles, and the catalytic converter also went out around the same time. In speaking with others who own this same car, everyone has had the same bad experience - transmission and catalytic converter. Of course, these problems happen when the car is no longer covered by warranty.

Car Review
By jason803 on 10/30/05 15:58 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in sept. 05 with 72K on it. So far i have had no real problems with the exception of the cd player keeps sayin P-EO to brand new cd's. the engine check light stays on a little longer than i like. Is this Normal?.. the paint is very easy to chip off took a chunk off with the nozzle at car wash.. Over all it has not let me down it took me cross country with no problems... It's a Honda ... Hope what say is true honda's last forever.