Used 1998 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Hondas never quit
By Honda

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Our Honda Accord is the best car ever! We bought it with 148,000miles and it now has 182,000miles and still pulls strong. Interstate manners at 75+mph are great. It will take off from 75mph and easily hit 110mph with the 4-cylinder. I will not get rid of this car until it dies.

28+mpg, *Honda Reliability*, big trunk, good rear seat legroom, cold a/c, comfortable, strong parking brake, and the front-wheel-drive is excellent in the snow and ice.

One thing- I wish tinted windows were standard.

Biggest Mistake of my life
By razor225

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

We must have bought the biggest lemon on the lot. 2wks after purchase spent 1500 on repairs. Should have knew something was up then. Needless to say I think we have spent over 6000 in repairs in 18 months. We just had to replace a ball joint and tie rod and front tire. These were brand new tires...this car is the biggest piece of JUNK ever made.

Better than it looks
By Tom

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 127,000 miles and now has 142,000 and the only problems were a failed cam sensor ($400) and corroded plug wires ($120). Not bad for its age and mileage. Have heard horror stories about Accord auto transmissions. Mine has been fine but doesn't shift smoothly and sometimes makes a really unnerving clunk. I've driven similar Accords with manual transmissions and the experience is much more rewarding. Four cylinder models seem to be more reliable than V6s. The six was all-new in '98 and had some kinks to work out, apparently. Both are terminally boring to drive so you might as well save gas and money with the four. A great transportation appliance, but kind of a sedate car

Visibility is great and everything is perfectly in reach. Everything actually works even after 10 years. Lots of storage bins. Wipers automatically switch to intermittent mode when car is stopped. Handles more cargo than you'd think. Fuel econ is outstanding even with auto transmission (27-34 mpg)

Mechanically solid but cosmetically crap. Paint finish wearing off even with regular washing and waxing. Visible rust creeping out of rear wheel wells. Beginnings of rust in several other spots. All the noise and stiffness of my 95 Civic with none of the driving fun. Cruise control tricky to operate

Sad
By SAD

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

Recap to earlier review. Approx 82k and even though maintained well. It's needed alt., vtec valve and pwr door actuator. Car still looks nice except for corroding wheels. Major problem has been the trans which started shifting bad at 18k and gets worse every year. Sad sad sad. I've notified Honda about trans and they claim they'll help me

Style, value and so far customer relations

Medium problems with alt, door lock, emissions major problems with transmission.

Reliable car
By jose Vargas

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 03 with about 70K miles on it.It now has 170K miles on it. I kept up with the maintenance on it like oil, spark plugs,air filter etc. I did have to replace the Radiator once at about 140K miles.I get about 400 miles to the tank on a 15 gallon tank (about 27 mpg). The torque converter clutch just went out, may need some transmission work, it just starting to slip once in a while. I'm debating on fixing it but I am having the new Honda fever! Overall, I am very very very satisfied with this car. I also have a 2004 Honda Accord lx (wife's car), it's even sweeter than the 98

fast car