1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Never lets me Down
By HAPPYNVA on 08/07/07 08:52 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I've had the car nearly three years and do a lot of driving. Other than routine maintenance, I've never had anything fail. Of course you always hear about the ones that have problems out on these reviews-you don't hear about all the ones that are perfect and there are many! Am hoping that this Honda keeps never letting me down as it has been a pleasure to own and still looks great!

Bought New
By arthur on 07/22/07 22:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Had this car since new, now that they are older this car is not as comfortable or as quiet as the Camry, also had to repair this car more than the Toyota, great styling in and out but needs better reliability, also both service and parts cost more. I guess that's why the resale value is better than the Camry, owners have to spend more maintaining this car.

Happy Honda owner
By Lori on 07/13/07 11:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Love my Accord and will probably have more. But, the check engine light has been a nuisance. And, I was shocked to need a $2,700 new transmission at 143,000! Had EGR problems (at 31k, 71k, and 105k) which were under warranty; an evaporative system failure (at 54k) repaired for a small fee; and a new catalytic converter and something about the transmission (at 131k) for a heftier fee. When the transmission failed, I talked to American Honda about my disappointment in the reliability that I had so confidently bought into. Honda agreed to provide a new transmission for free, and I paid the $855 labor charge. This was fair in my opinion, and Iím back to being happy Honda owner.

Best Car At Any Price - That'sThe Accord
By Rich on 04/25/07 23:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased this Accord EX V6 Leather sedan last year with 155,000 miles on it It looks and runs as new - flawless! Everything works (not exceptional for an Accord from my own experience). I swapped out the original audio system for one from a 2002 Accord, to have the 6-disc in dash CD changer and couldn't be happier. My first Accord V6, this engine is awesome - power, great gas mileage (22 city, 29-30 MPG highway), silky smooth and quiet. Transmission shifts are barely noticeable. A pleasure to own, fun to drive, and is equipped with every luxury feature makes it a joy. Interior is extremely roomy and comfortable. No car in any class is better or holds its value better.

Good Car
By HollyH on 04/09/07 08:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This is a good practical car. It has nice styling but nothing fancy. Great gas mileage, but it's a trade off for that great gas mileage it lacks speed and performance. I got a 4 cyl and really wished I had gotten a 6cyl. It's a great car for a mom with kids, or a college student. If you want wow and performance buy a BMW 330i.

V6 Auto Trans- 1998 - 2002
By whatitis on 03/16/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

Bought this somewhat used, owned by a Honda mechanic. Read on MSNAutos that these had transmission problems, two coworkers with the same drivetrain had replaced trans as early as 65,000. Mine waited until 105K, then started slipping; trans shop in Torrance says they see these frequently, known problem. Not my first Accord, happy but for the trans, known point of failure on these. Honda should step up to the plate; Nissan fixed the fuel injection on my 10yr old Z, after admitting that it was a known problem.

27 Month of Ownership
By Don W. on 03/02/07 20:02 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Since owning the car, it has been reliable But know with 110K, it is starting to nickel and dime me. Both rear wheel hub assy $200.00, starter $200.00, and ignition key assy $150.00. Transmission is starting to act up. Normal maintenance, timing belt change at a cost of $450.00. both rear rotors and brake pads $175.00. It seems at 100K plus the reliability goes away and become just another average car. looking to trade off on BMW 3series or Toyota Camry.

Good lil car
By 98_ACCORD on 02/11/07 17:58 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

It really is a good car with 189,000 km on her.but wow what really really bad fuel mileage....only gettin about 18 mpg US in the city with it. (4spd auto).the car really hates the cold....the engine and the tranny..very sluggish until it warms up.

Great Car
By jenni on 09/21/06 18:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new and have been very pleased. It still looks great. Has only needed normal, routine maintenance until recently. Replaced cat converter at 100K miles and now need new struts at 101K. The only other frustrating mechanical problem is that one rear door no longer opens, and it will cost a lot to tear out the door panel to fix. Other than that, I would highly recommend purchasing this car!

Great and reliable car !
By SoCalFeeva on 09/16/06 13:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I've kept up with the scheduled maintenance and have had NO major problems with this car. It's the most reliable car I've ever owned.