1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
First Honda
By Hobie on 08/08/09 19:49 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Best car ever owned. Powerful 4 cylinder, fast, fuel economy always 30-31 on highway at 75-80 mph. Nothing went out until 215,000 miles-- transaxle failed.

191,000 looks and runs new
By Karen on 06/12/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

This was my first Honda and it has been the best value purchase I have made in 30 years. Alternator and timing belt changed at 93,000 miles, which is close to the regular scheduled maintenance, otherwise no mechanical issues. Red paint still looks fairly new. We own 2 BMW's and have had problems with starting in the cold weather, the Honda has always started in the coldest Maine weather. I still love to drive this car, no blind spots, comfortable. Reliability is the reason we keep this car even at 191,000 miles. Drive the BMW for luxury!

Awesome car
By Tman on 06/04/09 22:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at 90k and am at 129k now--no problems! I just changed the timing belt. Tran has always been smooth--I heard about probs with this tran early on and flushed out tran fluid (chgd 5 times) to dilute old fluid until fluid looked clean (1/3 of fluid stays in when chging, this is why I flushed it several times--may have been a good investment as still shifts like butter). I started using synthetic oil for 1st time and notice engine and for some reason even the trans runs even smoother--almost identical to a new vehicle! HIGHLY RECOMMEND this car--and is fun to drive, although more comfortable than fun--plenty torque at 85+ mph even with 4cyl.

First car
By martin james on 05/24/09 16:29 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 2dr Coupe

I really enjoyed this car at first, after all it was my first. When we first bought it the dealer said that the transmission was just rebuilt, thinking nothing of it we purchased it. Needless to say I have had the car for a total of about 5 years now, and have rebuilt the tranny twice. First costing 1,500 and second costing 1,300. The car isn't even worth that much. So unfortunately I am trading it in. I have read that it was that specific year that the tranny can't handle the engine, but I have given up on it.

Better than it looks
By Tom on 09/29/08 04:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 127,000 miles and now has 142,000 and the only problems were a failed cam sensor ($400) and corroded plug wires ($120). Not bad for its age and mileage. Have heard horror stories about Accord auto transmissions. Mine has been fine but doesn't shift smoothly and sometimes makes a really unnerving clunk. I've driven similar Accords with manual transmissions and the experience is much more rewarding. Four cylinder models seem to be more reliable than V6s. The six was all-new in '98 and had some kinks to work out, apparently. Both are terminally boring to drive so you might as well save gas and money with the four. A great transportation appliance, but kind of a sedate car

1998 Honda Accord 2dr v6 coupe
By donovan reddin on 09/28/08 23:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I love this car. All the guys in my car club love my car. It is by far the best version of the honda accord to date.

Sad
By SAD on 08/15/08 19:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Recap to earlier review. Approx 82k and even though maintained well. It's needed alt., vtec valve and pwr door actuator. Car still looks nice except for corroding wheels. Major problem has been the trans which started shifting bad at 18k and gets worse every year. Sad sad sad. I've notified Honda about trans and they claim they'll help me

Reliable car
By jose Vargas on 08/13/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 03 with about 70K miles on it.It now has 170K miles on it. I kept up with the maintenance on it like oil, spark plugs,air filter etc. I did have to replace the Radiator once at about 140K miles.I get about 400 miles to the tank on a 15 gallon tank (about 27 mpg). The torque converter clutch just went out, may need some transmission work, it just starting to slip once in a while. I'm debating on fixing it but I am having the new Honda fever! Overall, I am very very very satisfied with this car. I also have a 2004 Honda Accord lx (wife's car), it's even sweeter than the 98

love it
By mmlorusso on 06/11/08 17:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Bought it used in 03 with 66K miles. I have 211K miles currently. Still runs strong. Replaced timing belt at 110K and replaced starter at 190K. Still have the original clutch on the 5 speed manual. Leather has stayed like new throughout car except for one small spot in the driver's seat. I drive it daily to work 500 miles per week. I can almost do it with a full tank since I average 485 miles per tank. I think I average about 31mpg. With current prices for regular gas in CT at $4.26 my only dilemma is: Should I trade it in for a newer one?

1998 EX V6 Accord 160,000
By 1998Miles on 06/02/08 07:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased with in '01 at 52,000. Now 160,050. Broken/Replaced: alternator, EGR twice! That's the only mechanical failure. Shifts hard around 2nd gear, but has always done that. All mechanics have said there's nothing wrong. At 10 yrs old, it impresses friends and mechanics by its maintained appearance. Has held paint real well. Change oil and filter myself every 3k/3 months. I purchased OE spoiler and fog lights. Could do without the spoiler, but the fog lights are great. Come in handy. Very $$ though. Engine's still smooth and quiet. has driven between FL and Boston and all points between many times over years. Great travel car, from Key West to NC mountains to downtown Boston!