Used 1998 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 206 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Fun to Drive
By randym

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Has been a great car for us. I have heard about the transmission problems with these model years. Our car has 162K miles and no problems. Guess we are blessed. Car is fun to drive. Passing it down to my teen twins to drive. Only problems was an intake manifold clogging that causes the check engine light to come on. It was a hassle to get that light off. replaced belt tensioner and alternator. no other problems. tires are a bit expensive for this model. Electronically everything works great. car body dents easily though. Plan on driving it to 300k or more.

Sunroof, climate control (for a 1998 its great). sports car feel. easy to park. Gas mileage not as good as a 4 cylinder but I got 27 mpg on a long road trip driving 75 mph

Body dents easily. I guess they all do. This car had all the options at the time except heated seats and mirrors.

Pleasantly surprised
By Iceman

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Got this at 140000 miles and currently have almost 180,000. I've only had to replace the starter. I've only had American made cars and have had way more problems with them. I am pleasantly surprised and this vehicles reliability.

Gas mileage to performance ratio is pretty good.

I think the improvements I can think of have been taken care of in later models.

Transmission dooms this car
By Matthew

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Accord EX V6 new. It is my third accord and I love Hondas. The car is now 11 years old and has 137K miles on it. It still drives like the day I bought it and almost looks it too. So with all that you'd think this is a great used car. NO NO NO. This generation Accord has been plagued with faulty transmissions. My first transmission failed at 69K miles and Honda claimed it was not part of the recall. I went to arbitration and got Honda to pay for half of the new transmission. Fast forward to June 2010 and 137K miles and the transmission fails AGAIN nearly 69K after the first. The dealer offered to pay 25% and I still paid $2500. Still did it as the car is otherwise terrific.

It's a Honda.

Hopefully the new (now my THIRD) transmission will be ok.

Transmission Problem
By Ed

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 98.Engine light came on at 80,000 miles, catalytic converter had to be replaced, cost over $800. Summer of 2005 the trans failed at about 134,000 miles. Took it to the Dealer (paramus), and the service guy referred me to a transmission place in Ramsey nj to rebuild the trans. They rebuilt the tran, cost $3200, gave me 15000 mile or a year warranty, car felt great, drove like a new car. 5 months later, trans started slipping. Took it back to the shop, by this time the 15,000 mile warranty had ran out. The guy claimed he replaced sensors, charged me again, $180, and said he needs to open the tran again, told him no, he said the car won't last 9 months. Same problem, 5 yrs now.

Honda needs to make reliable Transmissions.

Awesome Car
By Ryan

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I have always loved Hondas, this is my 5th and I could not be happier. The car has a some miles but I know that it still has many more in it. I am still getting 32+ MPG with over 200K and the car is amazingly reliable. The leather is a great addition as well as the power options. The stereo system is great for stock and these cars can move if you really need it to. If you stay up on your maintenance these cars will go forever! Everyone should own a Honda!

Leather, Stereo, 35 MPG, Sun Roof, Keyless Entry, Lots of space, 5 spd trans, Brakes, Performance

Better paint?