1998 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Honda Peaked with this car
By Sonic on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

IMO, this model is the apex of the accord. Excellent use of interior and trunk space, sensible but attractive design, good all around performance from the 150 hp 4. Well equipped and comfortable. Kids are getting too big to fit three across in the back, so need a larger car. only 103k and runs great. Paint bad, clear coat peeled, my only complaint. Expensive to repaint well, stay away from the forest green color. But i think Honda has gone downhill with the accord, making it larger, softer, and less attractive with each new iteration.

Fun to Drive
By randym on 09/06/10 12:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

Has been a great car for us. I have heard about the transmission problems with these model years. Our car has 162K miles and no problems. Guess we are blessed. Car is fun to drive. Passing it down to my teen twins to drive. Only problems was an intake manifold clogging that causes the check engine light to come on. It was a hassle to get that light off. replaced belt tensioner and alternator. no other problems. tires are a bit expensive for this model. Electronically everything works great. car body dents easily though. Plan on driving it to 300k or more.

Pleasantly surprised
By Iceman on 07/13/10 13:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got this at 140000 miles and currently have almost 180,000. I've only had to replace the starter. I've only had American made cars and have had way more problems with them. I am pleasantly surprised and this vehicles reliability.

Transmission dooms this car
By Matthew on 07/07/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Accord EX V6 new. It is my third accord and I love Hondas. The car is now 11 years old and has 137K miles on it. It still drives like the day I bought it and almost looks it too. So with all that you'd think this is a great used car. NO NO NO. This generation Accord has been plagued with faulty transmissions. My first transmission failed at 69K miles and Honda claimed it was not part of the recall. I went to arbitration and got Honda to pay for half of the new transmission. Fast forward to June 2010 and 137K miles and the transmission fails AGAIN nearly 69K after the first. The dealer offered to pay 25% and I still paid $2500. Still did it as the car is otherwise terrific.

Transmission Problem
By Ed on 05/02/10 08:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 98.Engine light came on at 80,000 miles, catalytic converter had to be replaced, cost over $800. Summer of 2005 the trans failed at about 134,000 miles. Took it to the Dealer (paramus), and the service guy referred me to a transmission place in Ramsey nj to rebuild the trans. They rebuilt the tran, cost $3200, gave me 15000 mile or a year warranty, car felt great, drove like a new car. 5 months later, trans started slipping. Took it back to the shop, by this time the 15,000 mile warranty had ran out. The guy claimed he replaced sensors, charged me again, $180, and said he needs to open the tran again, told him no, he said the car won't last 9 months. Same problem, 5 yrs now.

Awesome Car
By Ryan on 04/06/10 15:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I have always loved Hondas, this is my 5th and I could not be happier. The car has a some miles but I know that it still has many more in it. I am still getting 32+ MPG with over 200K and the car is amazingly reliable. The leather is a great addition as well as the power options. The stereo system is great for stock and these cars can move if you really need it to. If you stay up on your maintenance these cars will go forever! Everyone should own a Honda!

I love this car!
By vietgopher on 03/29/10 21:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This is one of the best car from Honda. It is very reliable, easy to handle. Everything works although its a 12 years old car! All I have done to the car is oil changes, and tire rotation!

Love this car
By Sold on Honda on 03/25/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We are getting ready to pass down my 1998 Honda Accord 4 door LX to my 17yr old son. This car has been very reliable and still looks great. Haven't had any problems and only needed routine maintenance. We are probably going to be replacing it with a new Civic Coupe. Going to miss my Accord but feel good about passing this on to my son because I have a piece of mind that he will be driving a very reliable car.

Very Dependable and Durable
By AccordFever on 03/18/10 14:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car June 2007 with 153,000 miles. I was nervous buying a car with this many miles but the engine ran so smoothly a went ahead and bought it. I've used this car to drive to school and to deliver pizza in for the last 2 3/4 years and is now has 237,000 miles. I personally love this car and there are a lot of vehicles i wouldn't trade for it if they only had 70,000 miles. Rides very smoothly and still feels athletic with the VTEC V6. Everyone thinks its a piece of junk because its plagued with the peeling paint but i just laugh it off when their nice and shiny cars break down. Even with the high mileage it's still the best car I've owned.

Miles of reliability
By 1998 Honda Accord on 03/15/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accord right out of the show room in 98. I have a little under 300K miles and it never failed me. I am beginning to burn some oil and put in a quart every 1500 miles. Other than that, normal maintenance. Original tranny, motor, muffler. Starts in cold weather here in Boston, and had only to replace the o2 sensor about a year ago. I plan to keep driving her. I change oil every 3K and did all maintenance on her; I am planning on changing timing belt soon and maybe I can go well on my way to 400K miles.