Used 1998 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord Coupe

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

191,000 looks and runs new
By Karen

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 2dr Coupe

This was my first Honda and it has been the best value purchase I have made in 30 years. Alternator and timing belt changed at 93,000 miles, which is close to the regular scheduled maintenance, otherwise no mechanical issues. Red paint still looks fairly new. We own 2 BMW's and have had problems with starting in the cold weather, the Honda has always started in the coldest Maine weather. I still love to drive this car, no blind spots, comfortable. Reliability is the reason we keep this car even at 191,000 miles. Drive the BMW for luxury!

Favorite Features

reliability, comfort, fun to drive

Awesome car
By Tman

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car at 90k and am at 129k now--no problems! I just changed the timing belt. Tran has always been smooth--I heard about probs with this tran early on and flushed out tran fluid (chgd 5 times) to dilute old fluid until fluid looked clean (1/3 of fluid stays in when chging, this is why I flushed it several times--may have been a good investment as still shifts like butter). I started using synthetic oil for 1st time and notice engine and for some reason even the trans runs even smoother--almost identical to a new vehicle! HIGHLY RECOMMEND this car--and is fun to drive, although more comfortable than fun--plenty torque at 85+ mph even with 4cyl.

Favorite Features

Transmission smooth for me, contrary to others reviews. First class bucket seats, Honda traditional ergonomics-- everything right where it should be. Brakes and steering spot-on.

Suggested Improvements

Needs wider interior rear view mirror. Not able to get better than 21mpg mixed driving.

First car
By martin james

1998 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 2dr Coupe

I really enjoyed this car at first, after all it was my first. When we first bought it the dealer said that the transmission was just rebuilt, thinking nothing of it we purchased it. Needless to say I have had the car for a total of about 5 years now, and have rebuilt the tranny twice. First costing 1,500 and second costing 1,300. The car isn't even worth that much. So unfortunately I am trading it in. I have read that it was that specific year that the tranny can't handle the engine, but I have given up on it.

Favorite Features

Wood grain, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Tranny problem seems endless. Uncomfortable seats (leather).

1998 Honda Accord 2dr v6 coupe
By donovan reddin

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 2dr Coupe

I love this car. All the guys in my car club love my car. It is by far the best version of the honda accord to date.

Favorite Features

i love the wood grain panels and luxury/sport feel of the car. the v6 engine only adds to its exceptional quality

Suggested Improvements

it should have been ran true duals instead of a splitter near the back of the car

love it
By mmlorusso

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Bought it used in 03 with 66K miles. I have 211K miles currently. Still runs strong. Replaced timing belt at 110K and replaced starter at 190K. Still have the original clutch on the 5 speed manual. Leather has stayed like new throughout car except for one small spot in the driver's seat. I drive it daily to work 500 miles per week. I can almost do it with a full tank since I average 485 miles per tank. I think I average about 31mpg. With current prices for regular gas in CT at $4.26 my only dilemma is: Should I trade it in for a newer one?

Favorite Features

Mileage, reliability and style

Suggested Improvements

Better sound