1998 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Reliable and Fun
By Nic on 05/09/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used, at 100k miles five years ago. Since then my biggest expense has been a new transmission, but I attribute some of that to the first owner's treatment. My air conditioning went out at around 125k, but other than that, I have nothing but praise for this car. I know people who have 10yr old cars that are in the shop constantly. I still get compliments from people about it, them thinking it's brand new. The style is gorgeous and it's a nice bit of sportiness for a young single gal such as myself. Versatile, nice to take on pleasure trips due to the spaciousness and classy looking enough to take a client to lunch.

I don't want to trade it.
By ACCORD on 04/05/08 10:51 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Very reliable, 115,678 miles and counting. Cold a/c, passenger power lock needs repair.

It's a Ford, not Honda.
By P. on 09/13/07 00:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 2dr Coupe

I purchased new. For 9 years and 85K miles, I have had the following problems that were not covered by Honda: 1. CD player died at ~ 40K miles 2. Changed alternator at ~ 60K miles 3. Engine did not start on hot days. Stranded several times. Honda dealers could not fix this problem. An online article helped me to solve it by changing the main relay. 4. Not great fuel efficiency for Honda. I found out this is the problem with my car, 20 mpg highway and 15 mpg city.

Great car, even after a decade
By Troy on 08/30/07 00:28 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 2dr Coupe

Owned this car since it was brand new, and now almost 10 years later it still runs great! Has almost 240k and had no major repairs yet. I'm almost expecting something has to fail soon just because of the age and mileage, but it proves me wrong each day. If you want a great car that will take care of you if you take car of it, this is your car.

V6 Auto Trans- 1998 - 2002
By whatitis on 03/16/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 2dr Coupe

Bought this somewhat used, owned by a Honda mechanic. Read on MSNAutos that these had transmission problems, two coworkers with the same drivetrain had replaced trans as early as 65,000. Mine waited until 105K, then started slipping; trans shop in Torrance says they see these frequently, known problem. Not my first Accord, happy but for the trans, known point of failure on these. Honda should step up to the plate; Nissan fixed the fuel injection on my 10yr old Z, after admitting that it was a known problem.

Had major problems
By SSK on 08/12/06 00:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 2dr Coupe

I was excited to purchase what I thought would be a reliable and great looking car, which also possessed an awesome Vtec engine. However, I was sadly mistaken. Gas meter broke around 10,000 miles and was fixed under warranty. Later engine was rewired free of charge due to potential fire hazards, according to the Dealership. Later I received a written notification that the engine switch had to be replaced due to complaints of stalling. Around 75,000 miles, the alternator had to be replaced along with the timing belt; air conditior also broke (friend has same problem). Finally, the transmission is almost completely broken.

Gas
By JoJohn on 07/26/05 16:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe EX V6 2dr Coupe

The car runs fantastic! I love it... the best 17th b-day gift I've recieved! Makes a difference when premium gas is used! That may have also something to do with the EGR clogs I've read about.

Look for another car
By CBaker on 04/25/05 20:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 2dr Coupe

Tranmission replaced at 56,000. Tranmission going out again at 85,000. This will be 2nd tranmission in under 100,000 miles. Not reliable. Failed emissions test the first year I had it due to recall. Poor Honda customer service. This car is a money pit.

World's greatest-150k and running
By Honda4Life on 04/22/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6 2dr Coupe

I am on my second Honda, over 150K. I had an 84 Accord in high school, and I know I would own a new one post graduation. I've driven Cadillac, Buick, Olds, Toyota, Ford, Mazda, Nissan.... Dont compare, dont compete!! Love my Honda, plan to get SUV or Ridgeline in near future. Classy car for a single mom with boys. They cant wait to sport it. Honda, please give me more power, maybe a V8? Otherwise, LOVE LOVE LOVE my HONDA! replaced EGR valve and 2 motormounts, 2 recalls on ignition switch, and I still love it, glad I went with coupe instead of sedan (due to transmission issues I was warned of by Honda Technicians)

My Honda
By KK on 02/18/05 21:16 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Great car, Boring. All I do is change the oil and meet maint. parameters. Strong runner, very reliable. 90k on brakes,, 85k on orig. tires. Looks and runs like new. Currently own 3 accords, 90,98 & 01. all great cars. Would I buy another "YES".