Used 1998 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great Car!
By Cheri

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Before my Honda I had two Chevy Berettas. They were money guzzlers (over $8000 not including purchase cost!). The only money I've put into my Accord was for sway bar link and bearings (about $60 total) and a starter (about $150). I'll be spending about $500 more in a few weeks when the 105,000 maintainance comes up, but to me it's well worth it. My Accord has always been reliable (I bought it used 3.5 years ago), cost efficient, and great on gas! (I laugh at those pulling up to the filling station in Suburbans and pickups :D). I'm completely sold in imports thanks to this car. Thanks Honda!

Favorite Features

Moonroof/sunroof, ergonomic placement of controls, roomy interior, interior/exterior design, reliability, cost efficiency, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Further reduce road noise, oil pressure and voltage gauges, brighter low-beams.

Disappointed
By Karl

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is my first Honda -- after owning a Nissan, Mazda and VW. I was expecting legendary reliability. Bought as a certified car with 40,000 miles on it. Now have 100,000. Not used to having things go wrong on the cars I own. Am probably spending in the neighborhood of $100 a month on repairs (seems like every 3-4 months it costs me about $300-$400). Probably won't buy a Honda again. My Nissans, Mazda's and VW's were much more reliable.

Favorite Features

interior space, trunk space, back seat space, 4cylinder engine gives adequate power and good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

reliability

Excellent choice
By cl8855

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This was the first car I bought myself 7 years ago. Choices were things like the Nissan Maxima, Volkswagen Passat, Chevy Malibu and the Accord. Boy am I glad I chose this one. Reasons for purchase were #1 reliability, #2 fit and finish, #3 good pricing (cheaper than both Passat and Maxima). Over the years I have replaced only the tires and the brakes in 75000 miles. Not once have I had to bring it in to the shop for any reason other than standard maintenance. Plan on keeping this car for another 7 yrs/75000 miles for sure.

Favorite Features

Reliability, fit/finish, good pickup even for 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Better positioning of seat belts in back seat (with Child seat in middle, hard to get at the seat belts on the side, even though there is room to sit.

Comfortable / Reliable cruiser
By Ed

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this car from my father in law with 80k miles on it. For the most part it has not failed to meet my high expectations for a Honda . I have had brake work and wheel bearings replaced, but that is expected in NY after 7 winters. Only other problem was a burned out alternator at 120k. Other than that, has never has a problem during the past 3 years, and I am hard on my cars. The odometer currently reads 132,000 and my goal is to hit 200k. I also own a 2004 accord, same model, and that is the only reason my ratings for this car are not higher. The newest model is a huge step forward in overall refinement. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong purchasing a honda.

Favorite Features

3.0 liter v-tec, 6-cd changer

Suggested Improvements

illuminated steering-wheel controls, switch for sunroof should be one-touch, instead of hold-down, 5-speed manual with the v-6

It's Pretty Good
By big boy

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

The car has good acceleration and handling. Automatic gear changes are a little harsh. Cruise control accelaration has too much response. The driver seat comfort needs improvement. Car looks good and has never left me stranded. The ERG device clogged several times which cost me but overall it's been a good car through 150,000 miles. No recurring problems aside from (3) ERG problems.

Favorite Features

Looks good, reliable, enviromental comfort controls are great. Spacious trunk. sporty yet conservative. Interior is looking good and user friendly.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the driver seat comfort! The lumbar adjustment is useless. Offer free diagnostic when the check engine light comes on; as it is sometimes caused by air during gas fill ups - even when the cap is closed tightly after the fill up!