1998 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Transmission sucks
By camille on 09/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

At 62,000 miles the transmission gave out, cost $1,300 to replace with another vtec, which after 15,000 gave out again. It has no take off speed and is dangerous to drive with an unreliable transmission. It neutralized in the middle of the high- way. Gas mileage sucks, wont buy anther one.

Fun, Practical Car
By Mike the honda nut on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is a great. The V6 is very powerful. It shifts smoothly. The gas mileage is pretty good considering the engine (27 mpg on highway). I drive it a lot on long trips, and it is very comfortable to ride in. It has lots of leg room in the front seats and the back seat is not too bad considering it is a coupe. The trunk is quite large, and I'm able to throw golf clubs and a couple suitcases in there and still have room to spare. IF I ever replace this car, it would be with a newer accord V6.

Transmission problems
By wlk on 12/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

At 56000 miles the transmission is slipping when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The check engine light will come on with a code indicating the transmission has a fault. Seems to be a design problem that Honda admitted to in 2000-2002 but not 1998 and 1999. Don't buy one unless you get the transmission checked out. The cost for a new transmission id $4000!!! Ouch!!! I am trading mine in. Hopefully none of the readers will buy it!!! The Odessey with the V6 is having the same problem. I was at the dealer getting mine evaluate and someone was there with the same oriblem on her Odessey.

Boring, reliable car that MOOS
By tessa on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Good car, fun to drive, boring to look at, very reliable, but there is a mooing sound near the gas tank which has never been resolved. Every once in awhile, more often when it is hot, the car moos like it is relieving pressure. Very weird. Owned this car three years and have to sell for a minivan now. But won't consider the Odyssey because of the mooing.

I LOVE HONDA
By samuel jones on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I cant wait to get into my car everyday and drive < i dont know if you could ever feel to pure joy that i have when i start my engine. My car out gos and out prefoms every car that i have see and been in even the top of the line lux. car.

Honda reliability on its way down
By Rahooool on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Honda's are supposed to be reliable but my Transmission got messed up somewhere in the 50K - Lucky I bought Extended Warranty. Engine runs smoothly but lacks power for a V6 (I guess im comparing it to my previous Nissan Maxima which was awesome until i sold it off at 186K). Interior is quite convenient and comfortable but im beginning to hear squeaky noises. External sounds are minimal though. Car looks decent - better than the bland Camry but not like the Passat. If I was 40 Id probably like this car but not at 25.

Love the car
By Kakashaka on 03/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Awesome car, everything you expect from a Honda. I drove it for almost 2 years and had absolutely no problems with it. Love everything about it. Gas millage was significantly noticed when upgraded from a 4 cylinder. The feel of the car when you drive a v6, was well worth it though.

Money's Worth...almost
By Braindead on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Good value for money but perfomrance not upto expectations. I had a 90 Maxima before which had more comfortable seats and felt like it accelerated faster. Honda's controls are better placed though and it has better resale value for sure. Honda makes better cars - Nissan makes better engines

By Janice Govostes on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Engine light comes off and on all the time have taken it several times back to the dealer and they put it on the computer and nothing is wrong light goes out for a while and back on againe

I feel for who I sell this to.
By MNMan on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I loved my Accord when I bought it. I paid cash after saving throughout college. Then I had to replace the transmission, Desert Honda in Las Vegas where I bought it failed to replace the fluid when the scheduled maintenance said it was due. At 65,000 miles the transmission was shot and American Honda did not help nor did Desert Honda. I have gone through a catalytic converter, rack and pinion, new steering column and a new starter. None of it with the help of Honda. I will never buy another.