Used 1998 Honda Accord LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

the perfect car
By mpb666

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 accord in 2002. it had about 30,000 miles on it. was kept in great shape by previous owner..it is now december 2011 and i still own this great car. i am at 175,000 miles now with not 1 major problem in 10 years of owning it. still runs nice and smooth, quiet. i can trust and rely on this car to start and run great anytime. even in the dead of winter, will start up no problem. only thing ive ever had done major is replace the catalytic converter and starter. on my second set of brake pads in 10 years. i get 3 month oil changes and once a year maintenance checkup every year. im sure it would last another 10 years easy. great car, will miss it when i dont have it her anymore!

++MPG, Reliable, Cheap repairs
By dblynch90

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 08 @ 132k miles. I still have the car today and it runs, drives, and looks just as good as it did the day i got it. I have been reading alot of posts saying that they have had engine, tranny, and paint issues, and i havnt experienced any of those issues (knock on wood). However, i do my oil changes, tranny and coolant flushes, and i wash my car every week to preserve the paint and underbody. If you take care of your car, it will treat your right in return. Definately would reccomend for college student and long commuters. Only thing i have ever had to fix was a CV shaft and wheel bearing, which ended up costing me less than $100 combined.

Favorite Features

VTEC engine, alot of trunk space, smooth suspension, cheap to fix.

Suggested Improvements

The knobs on the climate control broke easily. Cost 10 bucks to replace.

Pleasantly surprised
By Iceman

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got this at 140000 miles and currently have almost 180,000. I've only had to replace the starter. I've only had American made cars and have had way more problems with them. I am pleasantly surprised and this vehicles reliability.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage to performance ratio is pretty good.

Suggested Improvements

I think the improvements I can think of have been taken care of in later models.

Love this car
By Sold on Honda

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We are getting ready to pass down my 1998 Honda Accord 4 door LX to my 17yr old son. This car has been very reliable and still looks great. Haven't had any problems and only needed routine maintenance. We are probably going to be replacing it with a new Civic Coupe. Going to miss my Accord but feel good about passing this on to my son because I have a piece of mind that he will be driving a very reliable car.

Favorite Features

Size (big enough for 4 adults), looks great, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Gas cap release doesn't open gas cap far enough

Unhappy buyer
By Sanjay

1998 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Worst car Ive ever had. Problem after problem pretty much right off the lot. Transmission, engine mounts, wheel bearings (twice), suspension. I've plowed so much money into this car it makes me want to cry and I still feel it will easily break down on me on the highway etc. This has been the worst used car buying experience in my life. Next time I will go to Ford - I hear they are topnotch now. I don not recommend this car or Honda to anyone.

Favorite Features

Can't think of any.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your transmissions and get your act together, Honda. Suspension, wheel bearings, road and engine noise, vibrations and engine mounts.