Used 1998 Honda Accord EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

This car is literally bullet proof
By mikey281

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

My mother bought this car new and I've had it for the past 3 years and 50k miles (190k total now). It has handled everything I could throw at it. Last summer we took it through 4000 miles of mexico and all the bumps and pot holes that that entailed. I even drove it through a river that washed out my road. It has only had standard maintenance done to it (fluids, timing belt tires) and a few other parts to replace some damage i caused when I went off the road (ball joint, new wheel) Someone even shot a gun into the hood and the support brace stopped the bullet so no damage was done to the engine! How's that for bullet proof!

Favorite Features

It starts every time. Even after 16 years there are no holes in the leather. I have driven it across the country and across the continent in the past year and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow

Suggested Improvements

Not sure how much power it came from the factory with but at this point its pretty slow. Fuel economy could be better but it does improve about 15% by using ethanol free gas

First Car
By cosmicbrownies

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This car was handed down to me in 2009, although it's been in the family since 2001. It currently has 175k miles on it. Hoping for many more. Advantages: The build quality is fantastic. The power features still work like new, and everything in the interior has the feel of quality. Even the leather still looks nice. The car is very comfortable and stable on the highway. Steering is tight and suspension is firm. Also has a surprisingly huge trunk. Disadvantage: The notorious auto transmission. Was replaced around 110k, and if this one fails, it'll probably be the end of the car. That's a shame, cause otherwise it's been great to me. Just wish it had the manual trans instead.

ACCORD'98 LXI after 250,000 Miles
By waled

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

bought this car on Feb 1998, still looks neat and flashy, the A/C is still fantastic although here in Saudi; the weather temperature can easily hit/exceed (120'F). Never made an accident, as result; the original paint is still shiny. I own a 2005 Volvo S80 T5 yet I still rely on the accord for long trips between cities. Engine+ automatic Transmission still original. My friend has a 2009 Accord 4/cyl Aut. and some how got in a drag race with him, surprisingly, my 98'accord stayed nose to nose till we hit 200KM/H (125M/H) which is good enough for me.

Favorite Features

smooth ride, slick front/side look, perfect seating position, driver viewing traffic++, stability when driving on high speed.

Suggested Improvements

Na

Solid Made Vanilla
By gsschro2

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accord at 125K three years ago and am approaching 200K. I have not had any maintenance problems except for oil,filter, etc... It averages about 30-31 in the summer and 26-28 with winter fuel. I drive mostly highway and average about 70-75 mph. The car is unexciting but for its purpose (get me to work and back) I have not had anything better. I have the 4 cyl, which is better than most 6 cyl cars I have owned. Once again, as long as you don't plan on winning any races. The car is well behaved at highway speeds and comfortable. If you have ever owned a lemon, like I have then you know the value of a car that simply gets the job done!

Favorite Features

Great MPG, Awesome 4 cyl, Comfortable and spacious (I am 5'11"), Dependable

Suggested Improvements

Wind noise is excessive when compared to competitors and it would seem to be an easy fix.

Accord EX-L 4-Cyl. 4-Door
By Accord Owner

1998 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car last Friday because my last Accord had been wrecked and totaled out by the insurance. And so far I absolutely love this car! It is way more nice than my car and it has every option possible! Upgraded sound, leather, auto trans., spoiler, chrome wheels, etc. And is amazing. Has been very well taken care of and I would recommend this car to everyone!

Favorite Features

Spoiler, wheels, leather, moonroof!

Suggested Improvements

It could have a little more torque, but other than that it is pretty quick. My mom's '05 is much faster although only 10 more hp. (160 vs. 150)