1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
the perfect car
By mpb666 on 12/05/11 20:54 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 accord in 2002. it had about 30,000 miles on it. was kept in great shape by previous owner..it is now december 2011 and i still own this great car. i am at 175,000 miles now with not 1 major problem in 10 years of owning it. still runs nice and smooth, quiet. i can trust and rely on this car to start and run great anytime. even in the dead of winter, will start up no problem. only thing ive ever had done major is replace the catalytic converter and starter. on my second set of brake pads in 10 years. i get 3 month oil changes and once a year maintenance checkup every year. im sure it would last another 10 years easy. great car, will miss it when i dont have it her anymore!

++MPG, Reliable, Cheap repairs
By dblynch90 on 04/10/11 16:04 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 08 @ 132k miles. I still have the car today and it runs, drives, and looks just as good as it did the day i got it. I have been reading alot of posts saying that they have had engine, tranny, and paint issues, and i havnt experienced any of those issues (knock on wood). However, i do my oil changes, tranny and coolant flushes, and i wash my car every week to preserve the paint and underbody. If you take care of your car, it will treat your right in return. Definately would reccomend for college student and long commuters. Only thing i have ever had to fix was a CV shaft and wheel bearing, which ended up costing me less than $100 combined.

Pleasantly surprised
By Iceman on 07/13/10 13:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Got this at 140000 miles and currently have almost 180,000. I've only had to replace the starter. I've only had American made cars and have had way more problems with them. I am pleasantly surprised and this vehicles reliability.

Love this car
By Sold on Honda on 03/25/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

We are getting ready to pass down my 1998 Honda Accord 4 door LX to my 17yr old son. This car has been very reliable and still looks great. Haven't had any problems and only needed routine maintenance. We are probably going to be replacing it with a new Civic Coupe. Going to miss my Accord but feel good about passing this on to my son because I have a piece of mind that he will be driving a very reliable car.

Unhappy buyer
By Sanjay on 03/04/10 06:13 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Worst car Ive ever had. Problem after problem pretty much right off the lot. Transmission, engine mounts, wheel bearings (twice), suspension. I've plowed so much money into this car it makes me want to cry and I still feel it will easily break down on me on the highway etc. This has been the worst used car buying experience in my life. Next time I will go to Ford - I hear they are topnotch now. I don not recommend this car or Honda to anyone.

Hondas never quit
By Honda on 10/07/09 15:51 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Our Honda Accord is the best car ever! We bought it with 148,000miles and it now has 182,000miles and still pulls strong. Interstate manners at 75+mph are great. It will take off from 75mph and easily hit 110mph with the 4-cylinder. I will not get rid of this car until it dies.

Better than it looks
By Tom on 09/29/08 04:09 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased the car with 127,000 miles and now has 142,000 and the only problems were a failed cam sensor ($400) and corroded plug wires ($120). Not bad for its age and mileage. Have heard horror stories about Accord auto transmissions. Mine has been fine but doesn't shift smoothly and sometimes makes a really unnerving clunk. I've driven similar Accords with manual transmissions and the experience is much more rewarding. Four cylinder models seem to be more reliable than V6s. The six was all-new in '98 and had some kinks to work out, apparently. Both are terminally boring to drive so you might as well save gas and money with the four. A great transportation appliance, but kind of a sedate car

Reliable car
By jose Vargas on 08/13/08 09:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 03 with about 70K miles on it.It now has 170K miles on it. I kept up with the maintenance on it like oil, spark plugs,air filter etc. I did have to replace the Radiator once at about 140K miles.I get about 400 miles to the tank on a 15 gallon tank (about 27 mpg). The torque converter clutch just went out, may need some transmission work, it just starting to slip once in a while. I'm debating on fixing it but I am having the new Honda fever! Overall, I am very very very satisfied with this car. I also have a 2004 Honda Accord lx (wife's car), it's even sweeter than the 98

Great car-wish I could order a duplicate
By WWII Flying Ace on 05/09/08 22:44 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used with 7,000 miles. It now has 127k. Recall repair on ignition (never caused a problem) at 90k; New belts, hoses, timing belt, spark plugs at 100k ($700ish). Exterior rear driver's side door handle quit working at 105k--replaced this on my Civic once; will probably fix it if/when it's next in the shop, as I don't use the door too often. Working on fourth set of tires although the last two are low profile Nittos on 18" rims. Replaced front brake pads at 80k. A bit more road noise than I like due mainly to the aftermarket rims/tires. Change oil every 5k miles, adding a bit of Lucas Oil stabilizer--doesn't use a drop. Still gets 24-26mpg city; 27-31mpg hwy

A love, hate relationship
By MidwestAccord on 04/27/08 13:20 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Has been extremely reliable up until recently, but it has 193,000+ miles on it so I can't be too harsh. Before the clutch slave cylinder went out about 5,000 miles ago, it had never broken down. Still a pretty fast car for its size and still surprises many people that have never been in one. I wish Honda had kept the sportier looking Japanese design for the exterior, but the front still looks great.I added a different intake, which I highly recommend doing for the great sound and surprising performance gain.

1 2 3 4 5 next »