1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Best car ever
By Jason on 01/19/10 19:36 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

Drives like a dream. Feels brand new, looks brand new, stylish. yet it is 12 years old and has 115k on it. Nothing breaks. Cant ask for more.

191,000 looks and runs new
By Karen on 06/12/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

This was my first Honda and it has been the best value purchase I have made in 30 years. Alternator and timing belt changed at 93,000 miles, which is close to the regular scheduled maintenance, otherwise no mechanical issues. Red paint still looks fairly new. We own 2 BMW's and have had problems with starting in the cold weather, the Honda has always started in the coldest Maine weather. I still love to drive this car, no blind spots, comfortable. Reliability is the reason we keep this car even at 191,000 miles. Drive the BMW for luxury!

1998 Honda Accord 2dr v6 coupe
By donovan reddin on 09/28/08 23:16 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I love this car. All the guys in my car club love my car. It is by far the best version of the honda accord to date.

Reliable and Fun
By Nic on 05/09/08 19:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used, at 100k miles five years ago. Since then my biggest expense has been a new transmission, but I attribute some of that to the first owner's treatment. My air conditioning went out at around 125k, but other than that, I have nothing but praise for this car. I know people who have 10yr old cars that are in the shop constantly. I still get compliments from people about it, them thinking it's brand new. The style is gorgeous and it's a nice bit of sportiness for a young single gal such as myself. Versatile, nice to take on pleasure trips due to the spaciousness and classy looking enough to take a client to lunch.

It's a Ford, not Honda.
By P. on 09/13/07 00:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I purchased new. For 9 years and 85K miles, I have had the following problems that were not covered by Honda: 1. CD player died at ~ 40K miles 2. Changed alternator at ~ 60K miles 3. Engine did not start on hot days. Stranded several times. Honda dealers could not fix this problem. An online article helped me to solve it by changing the main relay. 4. Not great fuel efficiency for Honda. I found out this is the problem with my car, 20 mpg highway and 15 mpg city.

V6 Auto Trans- 1998 - 2002
By whatitis on 03/16/07 19:36 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

Bought this somewhat used, owned by a Honda mechanic. Read on MSNAutos that these had transmission problems, two coworkers with the same drivetrain had replaced trans as early as 65,000. Mine waited until 105K, then started slipping; trans shop in Torrance says they see these frequently, known problem. Not my first Accord, happy but for the trans, known point of failure on these. Honda should step up to the plate; Nissan fixed the fuel injection on my 10yr old Z, after admitting that it was a known problem.

Had major problems
By SSK on 08/12/06 00:06 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

I was excited to purchase what I thought would be a reliable and great looking car, which also possessed an awesome Vtec engine. However, I was sadly mistaken. Gas meter broke around 10,000 miles and was fixed under warranty. Later engine was rewired free of charge due to potential fire hazards, according to the Dealership. Later I received a written notification that the engine switch had to be replaced due to complaints of stalling. Around 75,000 miles, the alternator had to be replaced along with the timing belt; air conditior also broke (friend has same problem). Finally, the transmission is almost completely broken.

Gas
By JoJohn on 07/26/05 16:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

The car runs fantastic! I love it... the best 17th b-day gift I've recieved! Makes a difference when premium gas is used! That may have also something to do with the EGR clogs I've read about.

Good Car with Some Problems
By ajc on 02/14/05 09:07 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

A previous posting here regarding the ERG system and the transmission led me to write this review. I also have experienced these problems and both were covered under warranty (7 year, 100,000 Limited Powertrain on the transmission). Honda knows about the these problems and will help on these items. They have extended the warranty on the ERG and will participate in the repairs on the transmission even after the warranty expires. I recommend taking the car to the dealership for diagnosis and then calling Honda customer service. All things considered, this has been a reliable car and fun to drive.

Great value for your money
By alrjwc on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 2dr Coupe

It's a great vehicle .. maintenance has been fair and reasonable.. will purchase another Honda/Acura auto.