1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Great Reliable Car.
By pimpinpancakes on 09/09/12 20:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is great. It is the perfect size. Don't let it fool you because it is actually very roomy and has a large/tall trunk. Honda put a lot of thought into this car. Great first car. Safe also, I had a minor accident and it held up very well.

Love It
By jewels68 on 11/14/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 36,000 miles on it 9 y/0. It now has 160,000. My car has all the upgrades, sunroof, leather, controls on steering wheel etc. Had to replace transmission 3 y/o for $2500 and just replaced the oil pan. Other than that no problems what so ever. It's fun to drive and love the way it looks. I have had no problems with my paint but it is white. Will keep it to pass on to my son.

Fun to Drive
By randym on 09/06/10 12:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Has been a great car for us. I have heard about the transmission problems with these model years. Our car has 162K miles and no problems. Guess we are blessed. Car is fun to drive. Passing it down to my teen twins to drive. Only problems was an intake manifold clogging that causes the check engine light to come on. It was a hassle to get that light off. replaced belt tensioner and alternator. no other problems. tires are a bit expensive for this model. Electronically everything works great. car body dents easily though. Plan on driving it to 300k or more.

Transmission dooms this car
By Matthew on 07/07/10 13:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Accord EX V6 new. It is my third accord and I love Hondas. The car is now 11 years old and has 137K miles on it. It still drives like the day I bought it and almost looks it too. So with all that you'd think this is a great used car. NO NO NO. This generation Accord has been plagued with faulty transmissions. My first transmission failed at 69K miles and Honda claimed it was not part of the recall. I went to arbitration and got Honda to pay for half of the new transmission. Fast forward to June 2010 and 137K miles and the transmission fails AGAIN nearly 69K after the first. The dealer offered to pay 25% and I still paid $2500. Still did it as the car is otherwise terrific.

Honda Accord EXV6 Sedan
By Honda Fan on 02/10/10 19:01 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

It's been a great car for us. Bought the car in 2000 with 24k miles. It has 153,000 now. V6 is fun to drive. Feels like a sports car. Only trouble is intake manifold clogging causing check engine light to keep coming on. There has been Honda service bulletins on this. Front tires seem to wear fast. Michelins are expensive to replace. Plan on keeping this car till it is to expensive to fix. I heard 1998-2002 Honda Accords had problems with their transmissions. We've had good luck here.

Just Out Gas In It!!!
By Leo papagni on 12/18/09 19:46 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Drove this car out of the show room in 1998. Besides for regular maintenance, I have only replaced the struts and catalytic converter. It still has original parts on the rest of the car. By far the most dependable car I have ever owned. It just went over 200,000. I am going to drive it until the wheels come off.

What a great car!
By New Honda Buyer on 12/15/09 10:53 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 112k on it. I wasn't even going to drive it because of the mileage. The suspension was responsive yet comfortable, Gas mileage is 22-27 on the 3 litre V6 and it has leather, wood grain, a moon roof, strut tower braces, way ahead of their time! It has 230,000 miles on it already. I love it, buy this car!

Sad
By SAD on 08/15/08 19:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Recap to earlier review. Approx 82k and even though maintained well. It's needed alt., vtec valve and pwr door actuator. Car still looks nice except for corroding wheels. Major problem has been the trans which started shifting bad at 18k and gets worse every year. Sad sad sad. I've notified Honda about trans and they claim they'll help me

1998 EX V6 Accord 160,000
By 1998Miles on 06/02/08 07:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased with in '01 at 52,000. Now 160,050. Broken/Replaced: alternator, EGR twice! That's the only mechanical failure. Shifts hard around 2nd gear, but has always done that. All mechanics have said there's nothing wrong. At 10 yrs old, it impresses friends and mechanics by its maintained appearance. Has held paint real well. Change oil and filter myself every 3k/3 months. I purchased OE spoiler and fog lights. Could do without the spoiler, but the fog lights are great. Come in handy. Very $$ though. Engine's still smooth and quiet. has driven between FL and Boston and all points between many times over years. Great travel car, from Key West to NC mountains to downtown Boston!

Honest opinion
By bw on 01/27/08 18:09 PM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Overall a nice car. Value, style, driving experience are nice features. Gas mileage 19- 26 depending on tires and driving style. Throttle body sticks, transmission sometimes shifts poorly, alternator and pwr lock died at 72k.