1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
First Car
By cosmicbrownies on 10/28/12 20:26 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This car was handed down to me in 2009, although it's been in the family since 2001. It currently has 175k miles on it. Hoping for many more. Advantages: The build quality is fantastic. The power features still work like new, and everything in the interior has the feel of quality. Even the leather still looks nice. The car is very comfortable and stable on the highway. Steering is tight and suspension is firm. Also has a surprisingly huge trunk. Disadvantage: The notorious auto transmission. Was replaced around 110k, and if this one fails, it'll probably be the end of the car. That's a shame, cause otherwise it's been great to me. Just wish it had the manual trans instead.

ACCORD'98 LXI after 250,000 Miles
By waled on 06/25/11 05:13 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

bought this car on Feb 1998, still looks neat and flashy, the A/C is still fantastic although here in Saudi; the weather temperature can easily hit/exceed (120'F). Never made an accident, as result; the original paint is still shiny. I own a 2005 Volvo S80 T5 yet I still rely on the accord for long trips between cities. Engine+ automatic Transmission still original. My friend has a 2009 Accord 4/cyl Aut. and some how got in a drag race with him, surprisingly, my 98'accord stayed nose to nose till we hit 200KM/H (125M/H) which is good enough for me.

Solid Made Vanilla
By gsschro2 on 05/24/11 19:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Accord at 125K three years ago and am approaching 200K. I have not had any maintenance problems except for oil,filter, etc... It averages about 30-31 in the summer and 26-28 with winter fuel. I drive mostly highway and average about 70-75 mph. The car is unexciting but for its purpose (get me to work and back) I have not had anything better. I have the 4 cyl, which is better than most 6 cyl cars I have owned. Once again, as long as you don't plan on winning any races. The car is well behaved at highway speeds and comfortable. If you have ever owned a lemon, like I have then you know the value of a car that simply gets the job done!

Accord EX-L 4-Cyl. 4-Door
By Accord Owner on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car last Friday because my last Accord had been wrecked and totaled out by the insurance. And so far I absolutely love this car! It is way more nice than my car and it has every option possible! Upgraded sound, leather, auto trans., spoiler, chrome wheels, etc. And is amazing. Has been very well taken care of and I would recommend this car to everyone!

Worst decision i ever made
By sal on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

i bought this car 1 week later the engine went out, the hood broke, the ignition switch went out, the distributor went, and the crank sensors, worst brakes ever, and lets not even begin with the transmission i highly advise anyone to not get this car

Honda Peaked with this car
By Sonic on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

IMO, this model is the apex of the accord. Excellent use of interior and trunk space, sensible but attractive design, good all around performance from the 150 hp 4. Well equipped and comfortable. Kids are getting too big to fit three across in the back, so need a larger car. only 103k and runs great. Paint bad, clear coat peeled, my only complaint. Expensive to repaint well, stay away from the forest green color. But i think Honda has gone downhill with the accord, making it larger, softer, and less attractive with each new iteration.

Transmission Problem
By Ed on 05/02/10 08:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 98.Engine light came on at 80,000 miles, catalytic converter had to be replaced, cost over $800. Summer of 2005 the trans failed at about 134,000 miles. Took it to the Dealer (paramus), and the service guy referred me to a transmission place in Ramsey nj to rebuild the trans. They rebuilt the tran, cost $3200, gave me 15000 mile or a year warranty, car felt great, drove like a new car. 5 months later, trans started slipping. Took it back to the shop, by this time the 15,000 mile warranty had ran out. The guy claimed he replaced sensors, charged me again, $180, and said he needs to open the tran again, told him no, he said the car won't last 9 months. Same problem, 5 yrs now.

Awesome Car
By Ryan on 04/06/10 15:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I have always loved Hondas, this is my 5th and I could not be happier. The car has a some miles but I know that it still has many more in it. I am still getting 32+ MPG with over 200K and the car is amazingly reliable. The leather is a great addition as well as the power options. The stereo system is great for stock and these cars can move if you really need it to. If you stay up on your maintenance these cars will go forever! Everyone should own a Honda!

I love this car!
By vietgopher on 03/29/10 21:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This is one of the best car from Honda. It is very reliable, easy to handle. Everything works although its a 12 years old car! All I have done to the car is oil changes, and tire rotation!

Very Dependable and Durable
By AccordFever on 03/18/10 14:48 PM (PDT)

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car June 2007 with 153,000 miles. I was nervous buying a car with this many miles but the engine ran so smoothly a went ahead and bought it. I've used this car to drive to school and to deliver pizza in for the last 2 3/4 years and is now has 237,000 miles. I personally love this car and there are a lot of vehicles i wouldn't trade for it if they only had 70,000 miles. Rides very smoothly and still feels athletic with the VTEC V6. Everyone thinks its a piece of junk because its plagued with the peeling paint but i just laugh it off when their nice and shiny cars break down. Even with the high mileage it's still the best car I've owned.