Used 1998 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Most Helpful|
This car is literally bullet proof
By mikey281

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

My mother bought this car new and I've had it for the past 3 years and 50k miles (190k total now). It has handled everything I could throw at it. Last summer we took it through 4000 miles of mexico and all the bumps and pot holes that that entailed. I even drove it through a river that washed out my road. It has only had standard maintenance done to it (fluids, timing belt tires) and a few other parts to replace some damage i caused when I went off the road (ball joint, new wheel) Someone even shot a gun into the hood and the support brace stopped the bullet so no damage was done to the engine! How's that for bullet proof!

Favorite Features

It starts every time. Even after 16 years there are no holes in the leather. I have driven it across the country and across the continent in the past year and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again tomorrow

Suggested Improvements

Not sure how much power it came from the factory with but at this point its pretty slow. Fuel economy could be better but it does improve about 15% by using ethanol free gas

stupid honda
By Kris Merkley

1998 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

3 months after purchase, the Alternator dies and takes the battery with it, acceptable. 2 months later, the transmission dies and we pay $3000 for a rebuilt, which was received about 3 months after going into the shop. Then, not too long after that, we notice the car shifting hard in the mornings, guess what? seals on the torque converter are hosed, another $800 for 3 ea. $1.50 seals. and then at about 95K, the catalytic converter fails, so, we replace that, and the o2 sensor stuck in it. and now, at 106K, the drivers side CV joint is popping when I turn right. I will never again buy a honda.

Favorite Features

The engine still runs...

Suggested Improvements

transmission, obviously, cv joints, alternator, everything I had a problem with.

Very overrated
By Colin Higgins

1998 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

The car is difficult for me to get into because I am tall. The suspension is lousy, and it is very underpowered. Repairs include 1. 4 brake jobs (and I don't ride the breaks), including rotor replacement and drum replacement. The breaks are still lousy and the car shudders when breaking. 2. Doors out of alignment, causing alarm to go off and window to stick - even though the car has never been in an accident. 3. Car hesitates when changing gears, indicating a transmission problem. Car has 83k miles on it, but the whole reason for purchasing a Japanese car is to get better engine reliability -this is no better than a Ford Escort.

Favorite Features

Nice dashboard and intuitive controls

Suggested Improvements

More interior space. Better brakes. More powerful engine.

Unhappy buyer
By Sanjay

1998 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Worst car Ive ever had. Problem after problem pretty much right off the lot. Transmission, engine mounts, wheel bearings (twice), suspension. I've plowed so much money into this car it makes me want to cry and I still feel it will easily break down on me on the highway etc. This has been the worst used car buying experience in my life. Next time I will go to Ford - I hear they are topnotch now. I don not recommend this car or Honda to anyone.

Favorite Features

Can't think of any.

Suggested Improvements

Fix your transmissions and get your act together, Honda. Suspension, wheel bearings, road and engine noise, vibrations and engine mounts.

Transmission problems
By wlk

1998 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

At 56000 miles the transmission is slipping when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The check engine light will come on with a code indicating the transmission has a fault. Seems to be a design problem that Honda admitted to in 2000-2002 but not 1998 and 1999. Don't buy one unless you get the transmission checked out. The cost for a new transmission id $4000!!! Ouch!!! I am trading mine in. Hopefully none of the readers will buy it!!! The Odessey with the V6 is having the same problem. I was at the dealer getting mine evaluate and someone was there with the same oriblem on her Odessey.

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix transmission problem. Extend warranty to 1998 and 1999. Not worth losing your reliable reputation over this major problem.