1997 Honda Accord 2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Bad MPG, Reliable But Way

1997 Honda Accord Wagon - Consumer Review

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

Bad MPG, Reliable But Way Overrated
By aguywhoknowscars on

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

After searching for over a year, I finally sold my beloved Dodge Caravan cause it only got 16 mpg overall and bought my '97 Accord EX Wagon thinking I'd be getting both economy and utility. Well I got the utility, but not the economy. My EX wagon (4 cyl VTEC) was woefully underpowered and got, at best, only 18 mpg combined. I'm very mechanical and know a lot about cars. I do not drive with a lead foot. I ran myself ragged for over a year taking the car to 3 or 4 mechanics (including the dealership) to try to remedy the problem. Everything's "normal" was what I was told. Fed up, I sold the car after 1 year of unsuccessfully trying to improve the mpg problem. Car had less than 50K.

Suggested Improvements

Could've been great except very underpowered. Why they didn't make the V-6 available in the wagon I'll never understand, especially since it was the heaviest model in the line up, and that the wagon's primary demographic sales target was people with families. Bad product planning on Honda's part.