1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Runs Forever
By Runs Forever on 06/14/05 16:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Finally retiring our 97 Accord LX for a new 2005 Accord LX replacement after 209,000 miles. Engine & Drivetrain still going very strong, but rest of car starting to go. This is by far the best and longest lasting car my wife (aka lead foot) has ever owned. Still getting 24 MPG, we have changed the oil every 3000 - 4000 miles on this car and will continue doing the same with the new one.

Wag On!
By texasblueknight on 06/13/05 23:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

This Honda Accord EX Wagon was my first brand new car and the last wagon in the dealership showroom. Almost eight years and 83500 miles later, it is still as reliable as the day we bought it. Absolutely no issues, save for the sluggish driver side power window. A recent tune up has made the ride and drive like brand new again. I've since bought a Toyota Sequoia and a Lexus LS400 but the wagon is still my daily driver and will likely remain so for years to come.

8 years, and virtually problem-free
By Ann Marie on 06/11/05 10:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This was the first new car I ever purchased. Nearly 8 years and 130,000 miles later, I've hardly put any money into it other than regular maintenance and maybe 2-3 repair jobs in the $500 range. My last car, a Ford Topaz, I got rid of after it was 6 years old and had only 85,000 - and that was after the transmission was replaced. I plan on driving this Honda as long as possible, and because it's been so good to me I'm almost scared to buy a different type of car next time for fear that no other can match its reliability.

i love my honda!
By accord ny on 05/29/05 19:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I own a 97 Accord EX 2dr. I purchased the car 9 months ago and have put 16,000 miles on it. I've driven it from NY to FL 4 times and all I have done is change the oil. I owned a 96 Civic before this, and would definitly buy another honda. The check engine light is on, but I'm not sure why. It's probably something small since I've put 12,000 miles on it like that. Drives very smooth, good gas mileage, roomy trunk for such a small car, the sound system sounds great even though it's stock. i love all the features too, because mine has the 6-disc changer and sunroof. the power windows are slow, especially the passenger side one. overall, a fabulous car that i would reccomend to anyone.

Modest and Reliable
By Kaizen on 05/24/05 15:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I am the owner of a beloved 97 Accord SE- sedan. The car presently has 200,561 miles and had only had it's timing belt replaced once. The car is still in top running condition and frequently makes road trips out-of-town with ease. The complaints about the vehicle are slim to few in between, however, in 97 Honda needed much improvement in their electronic department- power windows were slow or the window motors burnt out. Overall, a wonderful car. Going this evening to pick up my 05 ex-v6 sedan with leather, nav and xm radio. I am looking forward to the increased power, from 130 hp to 240.. Thank you Honda...

My 1997 SE
By Erik Hoggatt on 05/06/05 11:19 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This is my baby, I take it every where. I drive it to work everyday and would not be afraid to take it coast to coast if needed. She has 230,150 miles on here and have only had services every 60,000 miles except for the timing belt replacement at 105,000 and 210,000 miles. I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles and would recommend this vehicle to anyone who needed a good commuter vehicle, I got 28.9 miles per gallon on my last tank and I'm well on my way to 300,000.

Super Commuter
By LStrick on 03/12/05 21:59 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Love my Honda LX 4dr 5spd. Bought it at 13,000 miles, now have 260,000!!! commute 90 miles one way to work 5 days a week, from high desert Antelope Valley CA over a mountain and down a long freeway into Pomona CA. Gas mileage avg 27 highway at 75 to 80 mph! Blew a seal on FWY at 120,000 miles, repair expensive but COVERED by extended warranty. Power to pass going UPHILL is great! Doesn't corner worth 2 cents, so Angeles Crest to work is short cut, but everbody passes me because I'm slow on the canyon curves. Otherwise outstanding car.

Reliable
By Sid on 03/08/05 13:25 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 2dr Coupe

Like the other posts say, the car is relibile. Only took it to the shop once.. to do a valve adjustment because I didn't want to do it myself. Everything else I worked on and it's been running great. There's so many things you can customize on this car. The service manual for this car is the best manual I've ever seen. Shows you how to do everything in detail steps.. Honda is known for this.Power Windows can be a problem. Had to replace the driver side power window assembly twice. Power Windows are slow due the flimsy design of the pulley system. Too much tension being place on the cable.Over all it's been a very good car.. It's taken a lot of abuse and keeps on working!

The best car, EVER.
By juanHonda on 02/28/05 17:27 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in Oct/2001 with 105,000 miles. The car has been prefect so far. The most reliable car we ever had. MINIMUM MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, if you like to stay away from the shops, this is the car for you. These are the only few repairs done to the car so far: CV axles and transmission fluid at 140,000 miles $400.00, front rotors and pads @ 150,000, $250.00,timing belt and serpentine belts replaced at 163,000, $300.00, 2 tune ups and regular synthetic oil changes, aprox, $300.00. Awesome that's $0.02 a mile!

My first car
By shaun on 01/25/05 15:05 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I've owned that I am actually paying for (I just got out of college) and I have to say it's a fantastic piece of machinery. For being a "boring family sedan", Honda does a good job of making me like this car. I've never had any problems with it in the past 9 months owning it, and will probably own it for a while to come.