Used 1997 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Reliable, Great MPG, Perfect color
By sadtoseeitgo

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This car was 2 years old when we bought it. Loved the look & at the time it was a good fit for us however due to back trouble I have to find a vehicle that sits up a little higher. No complaints about this car otherwise. We get about 23 MPG in town. IN LOVE with the color somewhere between silver & gold. Compared to my sisters Camry of the same year the Honda paint job has held up better. We have kept all scheduled maintenance up, so this will be a great car for it's new owner. Also I think this is still a very attractive car

Favorite Features

Reliability, MPG, Structural Integrity

Suggested Improvements

Height, I think this was the last Accord that sits this low

I'd do it again!
By CoryinTX

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

So I purchased my '97 Accord about 3 years ago. Since then I've only had minor things to replace (both knobs for the A/C, timing belt & water pump, radiator, brake pads). I absolutely love my car! It has just about 115K miles and it still runs like a dream. This is the 3rd Accord that I've owned. The car is 11 years old, but I'm willing to bet that it's got another 150K miles left on it. The backseat is just ok for long trips (say my friends) & the front seats aren't that bad either. Could use just a little bit more leg room after 5 hours on the road (my partner & I are 6'4") & some extra lumbar support for the driver would be nice. All of these are minor issues though. GREAT CAR!!!

Favorite Features

The 5 Speed & noise level on the freeway. Great Stereo for a factory system

Suggested Improvements

My CD player just up and stopped working one day & the power locks tend to lock themselves while I'm driving down the road. I think it's just OCD.

Solid Car
By Richa

1997 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is the most solid built car I've ever owned-- almost eleven years old and no rattles! None. Also, there was a recall to replace dist. cap, rotor, wires, etc. within the past two years that would have addressed some of the other reviewers reliability complaints. My only "repair" (besides expected maintenance) was a new starter. This has got to be one of the better used car buys--30 mpg for a car that seats five.

Favorite Features

Body Style. It continues to look sportier every year as the newer models bulk up and up. To me, the new Accord looks like a Lincoln Town Car (no offense).

Suggested Improvements

None.

By far my favorite car I've owned
By tabby

1997 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

My poor accord had it's last ride 5 days ago. I got broadsided by a huge lifted Chevy Silverado truck on my drivers side door (the truck was going 60 mph on impact) and I walked away from the accident, and only ended up with some stitches (from the broken window glass) and a black eye. The police said they'd never seen a compact car hold up that well in that severe of a crash, and in most cars I would have been dead. And to top it off, the Chevy truck had minimal damage but wouldn't start, and my crushed Honda still started, drove, and all the electrical still worked. Furthermore, I have not had any problems ever with this car, nor had my mom who bought it new. Next car will be another Honda.

Favorite Features

Ran great, no weird noises or rattles. Very solid. Didn't hear outside noise like other compact cars. Fun to commute to LA with.

Suggested Improvements

If anything, better quality interior. My godmother had to replace it fairly soon after she got it.

'97 SE accord
By SeattleGirl

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 55,000 miles on it in Nov '00. I now have 140,000 and it's still going. Do regular oil changes and maintenance. The dealer tells me the oilpan has slight leak, which I won't pay to repair and they say I might never need to repair (pricey fix, like about $1000). Slow window motors, weak AC, great gas mileage, reliable car that looks good too. I'll drive it until it dies, which I hope isn't before 200,000 miles. It is my daily driver to work, I'd love to get a new one but can't see getting rid of such a great car. It was worth the $14,000 paid 7 years ago.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, quiet, comfortable seats (for the most part), low maintenance costs.