1997 Honda Accord DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Still Happy!
By Stacie on 06/14/06 10:07 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Value 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car purchase and it remains a great decision. I purchased this car due to the distance I would be traveling to college and have always felt safe, had great reliability, and continue to get great gas mileage. With basic maintenance and the purchase of new tires, my Value Package Honda has lived up to every expectation. I'll be purchasing a new vehicle soon, but a family member has already asked to buy my 1997 Honda because of how great it is!!

A Great Car
By MMF of Baton Rouge on 06/13/06 11:38 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

A great car for town and long distance driving. Driven in U.S. and Canada. Carried 3 adults and full camping gear in comfort. Engine purrs like a cat on the road. Almost no repairs needed outside scheduled preventive maintanence. Has 100,000 in nine years and ready for ten years more driving.

Solid car; would buy it again
By Kevin S. on 03/14/06 16:29 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car, then put 1,000 miles on it in the first week. Extremely frugal on gas; averaged 300 miles on a tank of gas in city driving; 400 miles on highway. A/C quit at 150,000 miles; repaired by dealer. Replaced brakes and thermostat; a few tires, but no major work. I'm a Honda driver for life.

Best car I've ever owned
By J.J. on 03/02/06 09:45 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 97 Accord LX 4cyl in 1999 with 23,000 miles. I have since driven the car to 148,000, with no problems what so ever. The only thing I did was perform basic maintaince, such as tires, brakes, timing belt, cv joints, etc. My only concern is that the power windows are very slow, especially in cold weather. Other wise I love this car. It also aged very well, The day I sold it with 148K it looked and drove just as it did when I got it with 23K. Needless to say, I am replacing it with a newer Accord, a 2003 model.

Rock solid
By alex on 02/17/06 19:15 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever owned. Requires no repairs, EVER. I live where there is salt on the roads, hence a new radiator due to rust. 100% reliable, would drive it anywhere in North America. You don't know quality til you've owned a Honda.

My Honda
By KT on 12/27/05 05:34 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This is my first car. I got it with 166,000 miles on it and I had it for a year now and there has been no problems with it so far what so ever. The only few minor things that bothers me is when the car accelerates its not as a smooth and quiet as I expected it should be, its kind of loud and and the orange maintance light did not go away when I inserted my key, to set it back to the green light, the leg room in the back is kind of too little. Overall I love my honda and I plan on keeping it as long as I can, hoping it'll last me at least through college. I would definitely get a brand new one when I graduate from college.

Run Forever
By jenthor on 11/08/05 17:45 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 62,000 miles on it and currently has 107,500 and have changed the timing belt and should be good to go for another 100,000 miles. Never had a probelem with this car.

Great Car
By Nelle on 10/30/05 20:26 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for almost 5 yrs and it drives great! This is my 2nd Honda Accord and they really last. I may pruchase a 2003 shortly. This car is great for a person with a child and limited amount of funds to work with. Only problems I had was my radiator went-just wear and tear.

By far the worst car I've ever owned
By tmm on 08/24/05 18:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I would not recommend purchasing a Honda Accord. My car has been a maintenance nightmare. Since the warranty ended, the car has been in the shop every 3-4 months and has required major maintenance. It once took the dealer over a year to diagnose and correct an intermittent problem I had with the car not starting. I replaced the battery, alternator, clock and other electrical things before they figured out it was the ignitition switch. I'm disappointed and will never buy a Honda or Acura vehicle again. Think twice before you buy...

97 Accord very reliable
By jh0212 on 07/09/05 20:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Have a 97 accord 4-dr EX w/ 184K miles now. Very reliable. Has lost a little juice and feels underpowered now compared to newer cars, but otherwise runs great. Only problems/complaints: (1) Warped rotors (replaced once, new set warped again), (2) paint is faded and splotchy now, (3) driver's side window slow to slide back up, esp on cold days, (4) A/C is not very strong, (5) mileage is so-so (about 24 mpg in mostly fwy driving, but I don't exactly obey the speed limit either). Not most exciting handling, but more responsive than Camry or some American cars I've driven. Never get tired of my car. Would definitely buy another or recommend to someone.