1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews 6

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
My reliable friend
By Doug on 06/04/07 21:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My favorite communter car ended its days today . . . alas a jerk looking down at his cell phone rear-ended her with me in it at about 40 mph. Of course that I am typing tonight is testimony to her design and strength of unit body. The car was shortened about 18" by the impact and the DS seat broke and I ended up half in the back seat. She is gone, but I am not! Before toda,y her 168,000 miles were a pleasure. Faithful service with no problems and we fully expected another 100,000 miles in the family. She is gone but not forgotten.

Reliable
By Brian M on 03/29/07 11:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

We've owned this vehicle for 10 years and have had zero mechanical problems. Incredible reliability and it still runs nicely with 165,000 miles on it.

the accord
By sonelon on 12/19/06 11:56 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

its a pretty good car overall, but it doesn't drive smoothly and isn't comfy

10 Years Old
By Kolbow on 12/10/06 14:08 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great to drive. Having a manual transmission makes it more fun to drive. I hate to give this up. I hope I can get one more winter out of it.

Decent car
By Ryan on 10/30/06 12:19 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

The accord is overall a decent car, but I think there are better choices for the money. Yes, it's a Honda. The engine will run for 250k miles. But that's only if you maintain it properly (not everyone does) and maintaining a Honda is rather expensive. If you buy a Honda with 100k miles on it, be prepared to spend another $1-2k on it right away to keep it going. It will need timing belt, water pump, and suspension replacements. I think people have misconceptions about what Hondas are. They're not above normal wear and tear. Beyond this, any Honda built before 1998 has terrible structural rigidity so expect a lot of flex and rattling. Interior doesn't hold up all that well either.

The Ultimate driving machine
By Kaio on 09/26/06 12:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I have owned this Accord for 7 years and I loved it so much that when I needed another car, I bought the exact same one brand new (Accord SE). It has given me absolutely no trouble at all and looks and drives like brand new. I still have the original rear brakes. I have replaced the front brakes once. 2 sets of tyres, a muffler and an expensive 105K mile service ($1000) which included air-conditioner and timing belt. Other than that it is oil change. On top of that it is soooo fun to drive. I wonder why people buy any other car.

Best thing I could have bought!
By pastrypuff on 07/16/06 19:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I love this car! I got it 9 years old, but she still drives like a dream! At the 156,000 mile mark this car is still quiet and reliable. The gas mileage is still great, I've had to only do little things to it. I would recomend this car to any one!

Not Too Shabby But Very Vanilla Car
By Woodbyrne on 07/13/06 06:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Pretty decent car in terms of reliability. I now have 133k miles on it and have experienced the following problems since owning it: needed new exhaust system and radiator. These are normal wear and tear items. Engine is perfect. Problem now is that it's starting to get annoying old car problems. Sun roof began to leak so I just sealed it and took out the motor. Weird rattling noise under the car. Windows were always slow but now I have to push the passenger window up when closing it or it won't move. Once in a while the car will just turn off while you are driving. Car is too old now to dump cash in. And I won't get any $$ for a trade-in. Just going to drive it until it dies.

Love my Honda
By Karenn on 07/08/06 15:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Have had my 97 Special Edition for almost 9 years and am looking for another one! Loved the car; reliable, reliable, reliable. Only issues were a weak air conditioning system - even when was working after being repaired several times due to leaking inside the car and just warm air coming from the vents, it was still weak A/C - barely kept the car cool. And the driver's window never had much power going up once it was down - tended to freeze up in the winter - not good after paying a toll and not being able to get the window back up. Those were my only complaints with the car and I think subsequent models have taken care of that.

An excellent first car.
By Steve on 07/06/06 08:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Purchased by my aunt new, I bought this car from her as my first with 80000 miles. I love it! In my aunt's care and my own short stint owning the car, its been stone reliable. The car has a much more engaging drive than the later 98-02 Accords.