1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
By far my favorite car I've owned
By tabby on 04/08/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

My poor accord had it's last ride 5 days ago. I got broadsided by a huge lifted Chevy Silverado truck on my drivers side door (the truck was going 60 mph on impact) and I walked away from the accident, and only ended up with some stitches (from the broken window glass) and a black eye. The police said they'd never seen a compact car hold up that well in that severe of a crash, and in most cars I would have been dead. And to top it off, the Chevy truck had minimal damage but wouldn't start, and my crushed Honda still started, drove, and all the electrical still worked. Furthermore, I have not had any problems ever with this car, nor had my mom who bought it new. Next car will be another Honda.

Great car, sad it's getting old...
By Esseppi on 11/23/07 17:37 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

I boght this car knowing very little about the reputation of the Accord. Loved it from the first second of driving. Extremely reliable, only had to replace radiator once and battery another time. Extremely fuel efficient.

'97 SE accord
By SeattleGirl on 10/25/07 09:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 55,000 miles on it in Nov '00. I now have 140,000 and it's still going. Do regular oil changes and maintenance. The dealer tells me the oilpan has slight leak, which I won't pay to repair and they say I might never need to repair (pricey fix, like about $1000). Slow window motors, weak AC, great gas mileage, reliable car that looks good too. I'll drive it until it dies, which I hope isn't before 200,000 miles. It is my daily driver to work, I'd love to get a new one but can't see getting rid of such a great car. It was worth the $14,000 paid 7 years ago.

Roomy, reliable, and stealthy
By nominivan4me on 08/22/07 22:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

Wanted something bigger to haul more people/gear, and still gets good mpg. The Accord wagon with a 5-spd is a near perfect solution. While hauling either bikes, skis, or kayaks on the roof it gets over 30 mpg, and 33 mpg without. Parts are reasonable, it is Honda reliable, drives great, does not wander like a minivan, and in winter with a full set of snow tires goes almost anywhere. Compared to an Outback it handles better, has more room, and gets about 6 more mpg.

More style than a Camry
By shamarcus on 07/06/07 09:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This car has more style than a Camry but comes up short in the gotta-have department. I have owned a Jetta and a Maxima. The Accord would be my 3rd choice for the gotta-have-it factor. In my opinion, the car has been very reliable with low cost on the wear and tear parts such as brakes and belts. They actually last a long time. There are lot of aftermarket parts to personalize your Honda.

Bad MPG, Reliable But Way Overrated
By aguywhoknowscars on 07/02/07 06:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

After searching for over a year, I finally sold my beloved Dodge Caravan cause it only got 16 mpg overall and bought my '97 Accord EX Wagon thinking I'd be getting both economy and utility. Well I got the utility, but not the economy. My EX wagon (4 cyl VTEC) was woefully underpowered and got, at best, only 18 mpg combined. I'm very mechanical and know a lot about cars. I do not drive with a lead foot. I ran myself ragged for over a year taking the car to 3 or 4 mechanics (including the dealership) to try to remedy the problem. Everything's "normal" was what I was told. Fed up, I sold the car after 1 year of unsuccessfully trying to improve the mpg problem. Car had less than 50K.

My New Ride
By MilesB on 06/06/07 21:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this car, and I must say that I am VERY impressed. It has 145,000 miles on it, and it still runs like a dream. I honestly couldn't ask for more in a used car.

My reliable friend
By Doug on 06/04/07 21:53 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My favorite communter car ended its days today . . . alas a jerk looking down at his cell phone rear-ended her with me in it at about 40 mph. Of course that I am typing tonight is testimony to her design and strength of unit body. The car was shortened about 18" by the impact and the DS seat broke and I ended up half in the back seat. She is gone, but I am not! Before toda,y her 168,000 miles were a pleasure. Faithful service with no problems and we fully expected another 100,000 miles in the family. She is gone but not forgotten.

Reliable
By Brian M on 03/29/07 11:27 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

We've owned this vehicle for 10 years and have had zero mechanical problems. Incredible reliability and it still runs nicely with 165,000 miles on it.

the accord
By sonelon on 12/19/06 11:56 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

its a pretty good car overall, but it doesn't drive smoothly and isn't comfy