Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

300,000 miles and going strong
By chilli1

1997 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

Over 300,000 miles on original motor and transmission. Almost nothing has ever gone wrong with it, except it would shut off or not start, and problem was a recalled ignition switch, dealer fixed for free. Hope to get a half million miles out of it!

Favorite Features

Reliable!

Best Car I've ever owned
By Brian

1997 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 70,000 and currently has 227,000 replaced 1 half axle, 1 battery, upper bushing on front. 34 mpg on highway w/ cruise combined around 28 mpg. At one point at about 110,000 it would just shut off as if I turned the key off but would catch in gear again b/c of it being a 5 speed standard. I called Honda and they told me that it had been recalled for bad ignition switch. Made an appt at the local dealer. Honda replaced everything. igniton switch, points, plugs, cap, wires and even an oil change at NO COST.. Now that's SERVICE! In fact I just bought my wife a 2004 Accord EX.

Favorite Features

I love everything about it

Suggested Improvements

window motors slow down over time

Great Sedan
By Ozzy

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Bought a 97 accord over a 2000 civic by the looks and I do no regret it. I've had the timing belt snap on me but because we had no idea of the history and did not take enough caution to change it while it was still good. Previous owner was horrible. With the timing belt change we redid the heads gaskets, radiator, water and etc. Window motors are horribly slow at the front and nice on the back. Ignition assembly had to be changed. Starter changed. OEM speakers are really amazing for their year. Although a lot of work had to be done it was mostly because of previous owner with horrible habits. This car really is great A to B in comfort, speed, and style.

Favorite Features

Size it is a midsized sedan but in the back it feels roomy compared to civics. OEM speakers are very decent and won't need to get changed for a while.

Suggested Improvements

Window design is horrible even with a new window motor its still slow but not as slow. Maybe just a stiffer suspension, I get a good amount of body roll on U-Turns.

Best Used Car
By owlflfurry

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My 97' Honda has been a pretty good car. I've had it for 4 years and it now has 150,000 miles. Right at 147,000 miles the A/C stopped blowing cold air. $500 to fix! The other day my door handle on the inside just broke off. The paint on every 97' Honda seems to rust off or something. It looks ugly. I've had to replace the alternator, get a major tune-up, and I had an issue for a couple of years with the computer. It would stall out while driving all the time, just randomly. I had the Honda dealership fix that issue though which was like a $500 issue. My check engine like came on the other day too. There are a lot of repairs needed, but it's old...has a lot of miles and has been a good car

Favorite Features

So reliable!

Suggested Improvements

Paint is rusted off

My 2nd favorite Honda
By thehub

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This is my second '97 Special Edition four door, and neither has disappointed. The ride is smooth (on new Pirellis) while it is not a Porsche, it is reliable, safe and fun to drive. It is comfortable as all get out! This is my 6th Honda, and only my 1989 Accord Lxi has been better. Honda is a cut above the rest. Buy one, and you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Body style-it was a head turner in 1997-and not to shabby for 2010. Sun roof and alloy wheels.

Suggested Improvements

Put some peppy electrical motors in the power windows. I can 'hand crank' faster than that!