1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Accords rule!
By tennisballs on 06/04/10 18:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 2dr Coupe

I have really enjoyed this car. It has been incredibly reliable. I've been driving it for 11 years and would drive it for 10 more if my family didn't need a bigger car now.

Original Owner - 13 years and still goin
By melachuri on 04/24/10 07:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Great Car. Replaced A/C evaporator at 70k and radiator at 100k. Other than that did all needed maintenance - CV joints, Timing belt, etc.

Wish I Could Keep It
By Brenda Eiland on 04/09/10 22:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

The only reason I am buying a new car, and turning the beloved '97 LX wagon over to a relative, is that my leg can no longer handle any clutch and the car has a standard transmission. Otherwise, I'd pay what it took to restore! The windows are slow, and some plastic pieces broke (holding visor and rear cargo space cover). Hubcaps' paint peeled but new ones weren't expensive. Has had good mechanical attention. Timing belt replacement at recommended mileage was difficult per an excellent mechanic who said he won't do it after the next 100,000 miles. Had 2 axle boots replaced, but the originals might have been weakened by being hit in the side by 2 big deer almost simultaneously. Tough car.

Great reliable car
By Scott on 03/12/10 10:53 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought this EX-L V6 in 02 with 68k, now has 193k. Other than normal maintenance., it hasn't needed anything. Doesn't use any oil and the v6 is peppy, yet gets good mpg. Disc brakes on all 4 wheels seem to hold up very well. Been through 2 teenage drivers and still survived ( I know they didn't baby it). Plan on keeping it another 100k. Power windows have gotten a little slow, but seems to be a common problem on these cars. Spray silicone once in while does seem to help. Looking for another 97 accord for my next teenager.

Best Car Ever!
By Jones on 02/14/10 22:35 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

I originally had a 1989 Ford Mustang GT and had traded it for my 97' Accord EX V6. Have to say honestly was my best decision ever! I have ever option available, leather, power seats, power windows and locks, steering wheel controls, etc. Only issue I have had was replaced a cracked radiator but come on it has 156k miles for god sake! The window motors are somewhat slow but i manage, the a/c isn't great but it keeps me cool. Although my C/E Light is on I have no had any performance issues, it starts right up on first turn I think its just because the Tach stopped working. Although I am having a new transmission installed now but that is because the car was lowered and i bottomed out.

I LOVE MY HONDA
By jenny on 02/11/10 16:12 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

this is the best car out there i have many cars before but this is the best... cheap to fix good in fuel and everything else.

High mileage
By windshawne on 11/13/09 19:41 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in 2003-3 days after I bought it, I had to have the heads redone. Researching its history, I found the car had been abused, however, as of today, it has 199,500 miles on it and it's still as sound as the day I bought it. Just the past oil change it has started to use oil, so I need to investigate that. This has been the most reliable car I have ever had. When it finally dies, I will buy another one.

Good Car
By tim d on 11/09/09 21:32 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 2dr Coupe

My wife had one of these for her first new car. Very reliable, easy to maintain and drive. Mileage was 30MPG combined, which was exceptional. A few minor problems: clutch start interlock switch (fixed myself) and a/c condenser kept getting stopped up with leaves and spilling water on floor (dealer wanted $200 to install a screen to keep this from happening). Fairly fun to drive and reasonably fast for a basic car. We had the coupe, but should have spent the money on the sedan so we could get more use out of it after we had kids.

This my first car and I love it
By red97 on 11/05/09 08:30 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 2dr Coupe

I love this car, it is so fun - it drives better than a Benz. The 4 cylinder is very fast and responsive. Great gas mileage. The only problems I've had so far is the front axles had to be replaced and the starter and solenoid, that's about it. The ac stinks but I got sun roof so it's all good and the seat belts are horrible they choke you but the seats are extremely comfy. Plus the trunk is very roomy. I once got three kids, two ice chests, 3 tents, 2 adults, a million blankets etc. and food in my car. Oh and tiki torches out the sun roof.

Running strong
By yixter on 09/06/09 19:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in 03 with 68k now it is 183k and still going strong, about 80% of the miles are highway and I still got 31/32mpg overall according to the car's odometer. I carefully rated this car in the listed categories and won't say anything more. I had to replace a failed starter, front cv joints, changed the exhaust system and the tires 2 times, battery and a pair of front brake pads once, that is all. I recently bought a 09 accord new instead of trade in my 97 for $1000 I decided to keep it.