Used 1997 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Modest and Reliable
By Kaizen

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I am the owner of a beloved 97 Accord SE- sedan. The car presently has 200,561 miles and had only had it's timing belt replaced once. The car is still in top running condition and frequently makes road trips out-of-town with ease. The complaints about the vehicle are slim to few in between, however, in 97 Honda needed much improvement in their electronic department- power windows were slow or the window motors burnt out. Overall, a wonderful car. Going this evening to pick up my 05 ex-v6 sedan with leather, nav and xm radio. I am looking forward to the increased power, from 130 hp to 240.. Thank you Honda...

Favorite Features

Power sunroof controls on the left hand side, sets apart from other makers.

Suggested Improvements

in 97 130 was maybe moderate, however, tercels and civics pack that punch! Improvements to the window controls!!

My 1997 SE
By Erik Hoggatt

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

This is my baby, I take it every where. I drive it to work everyday and would not be afraid to take it coast to coast if needed. She has 230,150 miles on here and have only had services every 60,000 miles except for the timing belt replacement at 105,000 and 210,000 miles. I have the oil changed every 5,000 miles and would recommend this vehicle to anyone who needed a good commuter vehicle, I got 28.9 miles per gallon on my last tank and I'm well on my way to 300,000.

Super Commuter
By LStrick

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Love my Honda LX 4dr 5spd. Bought it at 13,000 miles, now have 260,000!!! commute 90 miles one way to work 5 days a week, from high desert Antelope Valley CA over a mountain and down a long freeway into Pomona CA. Gas mileage avg 27 highway at 75 to 80 mph! Blew a seal on FWY at 120,000 miles, repair expensive but COVERED by extended warranty. Power to pass going UPHILL is great! Doesn't corner worth 2 cents, so Angeles Crest to work is short cut, but everbody passes me because I'm slow on the canyon curves. Otherwise outstanding car.

Favorite Features

Nice radio, ENGINE ENGINE ENGINE.take 3rd to 65mph, 4th to 85mph, 5th on up, or cruising slower.

Suggested Improvements

quieter ride, tighter suspension

Reliable
By Sid

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 2dr Coupe

Like the other posts say, the car is relibile. Only took it to the shop once.. to do a valve adjustment because I didn't want to do it myself. Everything else I worked on and it's been running great. There's so many things you can customize on this car. The service manual for this car is the best manual I've ever seen. Shows you how to do everything in detail steps.. Honda is known for this.Power Windows can be a problem. Had to replace the driver side power window assembly twice. Power Windows are slow due the flimsy design of the pulley system. Too much tension being place on the cable.Over all it's been a very good car.. It's taken a lot of abuse and keeps on working!

Favorite Features

Power Steering.. it's very responsive.

Suggested Improvements

Power Windows, Power Windows, Power Windows. If there's a drop in replacement for the design I would buy it.

The best car, EVER.
By juanHonda

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in Oct/2001 with 105,000 miles. The car has been prefect so far. The most reliable car we ever had. MINIMUM MAINTENANCE REQUIRED, if you like to stay away from the shops, this is the car for you. These are the only few repairs done to the car so far: CV axles and transmission fluid at 140,000 miles $400.00, front rotors and pads @ 150,000, $250.00,timing belt and serpentine belts replaced at 163,000, $300.00, 2 tune ups and regular synthetic oil changes, aprox, $300.00. Awesome that's $0.02 a mile!

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy, comfortable, roomy.

Suggested Improvements

More power, maybe a standar V6, power windows are slow and noisy but no big deal. ABS should be standard.