Used 1997 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great Car
By Nelle

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for almost 5 yrs and it drives great! This is my 2nd Honda Accord and they really last. I may pruchase a 2003 shortly. This car is great for a person with a child and limited amount of funds to work with. Only problems I had was my radiator went-just wear and tear.

The color (plum), moonroof, and stereo

It could have more pick up, but the new Accords come with the VTec engines.

By far the worst car I've ever owned
By tmm

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I would not recommend purchasing a Honda Accord. My car has been a maintenance nightmare. Since the warranty ended, the car has been in the shop every 3-4 months and has required major maintenance. It once took the dealer over a year to diagnose and correct an intermittent problem I had with the car not starting. I replaced the battery, alternator, clock and other electrical things before they figured out it was the ignitition switch. I'm disappointed and will never buy a Honda or Acura vehicle again. Think twice before you buy...

97 Accord very reliable
By jh0212

1997 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Have a 97 accord 4-dr EX w/ 184K miles now. Very reliable. Has lost a little juice and feels underpowered now compared to newer cars, but otherwise runs great. Only problems/complaints: (1) Warped rotors (replaced once, new set warped again), (2) paint is faded and splotchy now, (3) driver's side window slow to slide back up, esp on cold days, (4) A/C is not very strong, (5) mileage is so-so (about 24 mpg in mostly fwy driving, but I don't exactly obey the speed limit either). Not most exciting handling, but more responsive than Camry or some American cars I've driven. Never get tired of my car. Would definitely buy another or recommend to someone.

Great reliability. Relatively fun to drive. Visibility out is good (compared to newer cars).

Need stronger AC, better power windows, better paint job. Front rotors shouldn't warp so easily. Should've gotten the V6 or waited another month for 98 Accord. Decent handling, could be better. Could be quieter.

Runs Forever
By Runs Forever

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Finally retiring our 97 Accord LX for a new 2005 Accord LX replacement after 209,000 miles. Engine & Drivetrain still going very strong, but rest of car starting to go. This is by far the best and longest lasting car my wife (aka lead foot) has ever owned. Still getting 24 MPG, we have changed the oil every 3000 - 4000 miles on this car and will continue doing the same with the new one.

Handling, acceleration, very comfortable seats (Front and Back), car fits like a glove. Reliability

1) More durable paint job, the car looks like it's been sandblasted after all of these miles. 2) Greater resistance to door dings - the car seems to pick up a new one every month or two from the local shopping center. 3) Radio should come with an audio input jack for MP3's, CD's, MD's ect.

8 years, and virtually problem-free
By Ann Marie

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was the first new car I ever purchased. Nearly 8 years and 130,000 miles later, I've hardly put any money into it other than regular maintenance and maybe 2-3 repair jobs in the $500 range. My last car, a Ford Topaz, I got rid of after it was 6 years old and had only 85,000 - and that was after the transmission was replaced. I plan on driving this Honda as long as possible, and because it's been so good to me I'm almost scared to buy a different type of car next time for fear that no other can match its reliability.

That it starts every day, rides well and is easy to drive. After nearly 8 years of Cleveland weather, it still looks nice too!