Used 1997 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Not Too Shabby But Very Vanilla Car
By Woodbyrne

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Pretty decent car in terms of reliability. I now have 133k miles on it and have experienced the following problems since owning it: needed new exhaust system and radiator. These are normal wear and tear items. Engine is perfect. Problem now is that it's starting to get annoying old car problems. Sun roof began to leak so I just sealed it and took out the motor. Weird rattling noise under the car. Windows were always slow but now I have to push the passenger window up when closing it or it won't move. Once in a while the car will just turn off while you are driving. Car is too old now to dump cash in. And I won't get any $$ for a trade-in. Just going to drive it until it dies.

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission are bullet proof. Seats are comfortable. Fold down rear seat is nice. Gas mileage is pretty good. It seems worse now only because I am paying $3 per gallon. For the money, you can't beat a Honda.

Suggested Improvements

It's a 1997. Improvements have been made already. Wish the windows were faster and did not need a helping hand to close. Car has no personality at all... other than shutting off once in a while as I'm driving. I call it a personality quirk. Very vanilla car.

Love my Honda
By Karenn

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Special Edition 4dr Sedan

Have had my 97 Special Edition for almost 9 years and am looking for another one! Loved the car; reliable, reliable, reliable. Only issues were a weak air conditioning system - even when was working after being repaired several times due to leaking inside the car and just warm air coming from the vents, it was still weak A/C - barely kept the car cool. And the driver's window never had much power going up once it was down - tended to freeze up in the winter - not good after paying a toll and not being able to get the window back up. Those were my only complaints with the car and I think subsequent models have taken care of that.

Suggested Improvements

See above--hopefully new models have improved A/C cooling and more powerful automatic windows!

An excellent first car.
By Steve

1997 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Purchased by my aunt new, I bought this car from her as my first with 80000 miles. I love it! In my aunt's care and my own short stint owning the car, its been stone reliable. The car has a much more engaging drive than the later 98-02 Accords.

Favorite Features

EX = sunroof, power accessories, and 4 wheel discs w/ABS. peppy motor VTEC I4, good brakes, gas mileage, nice ride, drives like a go cart--quick and direct steering.

Suggested Improvements

A touch loud, power driver's seat only with leather package, handsome alloy wheels of 94-95 replaced with ones that look like hubcaps.

Still Happy!
By Stacie

1997 Honda Accord Sedan Value 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car purchase and it remains a great decision. I purchased this car due to the distance I would be traveling to college and have always felt safe, had great reliability, and continue to get great gas mileage. With basic maintenance and the purchase of new tires, my Value Package Honda has lived up to every expectation. I'll be purchasing a new vehicle soon, but a family member has already asked to buy my 1997 Honda because of how great it is!!

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

More rear leg room and more seat adjustment positions.

A Great Car
By MMF of Baton Rouge

1997 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

A great car for town and long distance driving. Driven in U.S. and Canada. Carried 3 adults and full camping gear in comfort. Engine purrs like a cat on the road. Almost no repairs needed outside scheduled preventive maintanence. Has 100,000 in nine years and ready for ten years more driving.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Smooth ride and handling. Interior very comfortable. Interior space very useable. Abundant amenities for its time. Economical.

Suggested Improvements

Better road tracking in the steering.