1997 Honda Accord Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Wish I Could Keep It
By Brenda Eiland on 04/09/10 22:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

The only reason I am buying a new car, and turning the beloved '97 LX wagon over to a relative, is that my leg can no longer handle any clutch and the car has a standard transmission. Otherwise, I'd pay what it took to restore! The windows are slow, and some plastic pieces broke (holding visor and rear cargo space cover). Hubcaps' paint peeled but new ones weren't expensive. Has had good mechanical attention. Timing belt replacement at recommended mileage was difficult per an excellent mechanic who said he won't do it after the next 100,000 miles. Had 2 axle boots replaced, but the originals might have been weakened by being hit in the side by 2 big deer almost simultaneously. Tough car.

Wagons are back!
By choda on 04/23/09 10:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Bought used with 95000, after selling our 95 Accord damaged in hail storm. This LX wagon has been reliable, although it has a couple of issues. The slow electric windows, starting to smell antifreeze and the worst is the paint clearcoat is failing. The automatic trans requires more frequent fluid changes than most or it will act up. Gets 25+mpg, not quite as good as the 95 Accord sedan. Performance is fine for normal driving. It's too bad the paint is going away. New paint is so expensive I will be selling this car.

So good I completely reconditioned it
By JOHN PINE on 07/18/08 19:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car I gave to my daughter in 2003. After 5 years it looked like it had been driven in a demolition derby but it ran almost perfectly. How much do I think of this car? I completely re-did the exterior and interior, spending $3000. She'll have to earn the right to drive it again. In my opinion this wagon is a true classic!

Not a Viper but awesome still
By Darling, N on 06/25/08 14:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

I have had this car almost 2 years and only had to do oil changes (on time, always). My mechanic can never find anything else to do with it. It isn't fast, like my Accord Sedan was, but it is comfortable, quiet, and very good on gas, about 30 mpg-awesome for a wagon! It has good ergonomics; all gadgets are easily accessible, seats are well placed but I am short so I wish the seats could adjust more. The front windows are slow, but overall this car is a 9 1/2. IT is a typical Honda-reliable to the bone.

Roomy, reliable, and stealthy
By nominivan4me on 08/22/07 22:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Wanted something bigger to haul more people/gear, and still gets good mpg. The Accord wagon with a 5-spd is a near perfect solution. While hauling either bikes, skis, or kayaks on the roof it gets over 30 mpg, and 33 mpg without. Parts are reasonable, it is Honda reliable, drives great, does not wander like a minivan, and in winter with a full set of snow tires goes almost anywhere. Compared to an Outback it handles better, has more room, and gets about 6 more mpg.

Bad MPG, Reliable But Way Overrated
By aguywhoknowscars on 07/02/07 06:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

After searching for over a year, I finally sold my beloved Dodge Caravan cause it only got 16 mpg overall and bought my '97 Accord EX Wagon thinking I'd be getting both economy and utility. Well I got the utility, but not the economy. My EX wagon (4 cyl VTEC) was woefully underpowered and got, at best, only 18 mpg combined. I'm very mechanical and know a lot about cars. I do not drive with a lead foot. I ran myself ragged for over a year taking the car to 3 or 4 mechanics (including the dealership) to try to remedy the problem. Everything's "normal" was what I was told. Fed up, I sold the car after 1 year of unsuccessfully trying to improve the mpg problem. Car had less than 50K.

Wag On!
By texasblueknight on 06/13/05 23:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

This Honda Accord EX Wagon was my first brand new car and the last wagon in the dealership showroom. Almost eight years and 83500 miles later, it is still as reliable as the day we bought it. Absolutely no issues, save for the sluggish driver side power window. A recent tune up has made the ride and drive like brand new again. I've since bought a Toyota Sequoia and a Lexus LS400 but the wagon is still my daily driver and will likely remain so for years to come.

Dependable, trouble-free transportation
By ivorykeyer on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

We bought this car used (17K miles) in a hurry when our disaster of a Taurus Wagon had a catastrophic engine problem. Our primary goal was to get a car that wouldn't require monthly visits to the mechanic and in this the Accord has been a rousing success. Other than power window problems (front windows becoming progressively slower as time goes on) the car has performed absolutely flawlessly. I use it for a long daily commute (100 miles/day) and it is very comfortable with decent gas mileage (23-25 MPG). While not exciting visually or performance-wise, it has lots of room and has been a great and extremely reliable car for our basic transportation needs.

The Best Ever
By Tober on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This has been our "second" car -- the other is a 5 series BMW, also a fine car. However, this Honda is without a doubt the best yet. For whatever strange reason, probably to compete in the SUV market, Honda no longer makes wagons. It is a shame. This car does everything, and more, that a owner could ever want. Comfort, pickup, space for dogs and or children and or adults and old folks, fuel economy and mileage range, great exterior and interior design, you name it, it has it and it does it. Don't have a clue, when it comes time, as to how to replace it.

Love Honda
By mdgottse on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

Excellent family car! It's my second Honda, and I'm still in love.