Used 1997 Honda Accord Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Wish I Could Keep It
By Brenda Eiland

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

The only reason I am buying a new car, and turning the beloved '97 LX wagon over to a relative, is that my leg can no longer handle any clutch and the car has a standard transmission. Otherwise, I'd pay what it took to restore! The windows are slow, and some plastic pieces broke (holding visor and rear cargo space cover). Hubcaps' paint peeled but new ones weren't expensive. Has had good mechanical attention. Timing belt replacement at recommended mileage was difficult per an excellent mechanic who said he won't do it after the next 100,000 miles. Had 2 axle boots replaced, but the originals might have been weakened by being hit in the side by 2 big deer almost simultaneously. Tough car.

Performance, endurance, styling, color, rear-view visibility, resale value.

Quality and durability of plastic parts, window power, hubcaps, etc. need to match what's under the hood.

Wagons are back!
By choda

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Bought used with 95000, after selling our 95 Accord damaged in hail storm. This LX wagon has been reliable, although it has a couple of issues. The slow electric windows, starting to smell antifreeze and the worst is the paint clearcoat is failing. The automatic trans requires more frequent fluid changes than most or it will act up. Gets 25+mpg, not quite as good as the 95 Accord sedan. Performance is fine for normal driving. It's too bad the paint is going away. New paint is so expensive I will be selling this car.

Style, reliability, gas mileage and hauling capacity.

Better clear coat on the paint, drivers side window motor.

So good I completely reconditioned it
By JOHN PINE

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

This car I gave to my daughter in 2003. After 5 years it looked like it had been driven in a demolition derby but it ran almost perfectly. How much do I think of this car? I completely re-did the exterior and interior, spending $3000. She'll have to earn the right to drive it again. In my opinion this wagon is a true classic!

Beautiful design, great gas mileage (30 mpg), lots of cargo room, sure, the plastic radiator had to be replaced with a good metal one but with proper maintenance this car is one of the most reliable automobiles on the road today!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the slow power windows but I'll try the lube on either side. Paint on roof didn't hold up well.

Not a Viper but awesome still
By Darling, N

1997 Honda Accord Wagon EX 4dr Wagon

I have had this car almost 2 years and only had to do oil changes (on time, always). My mechanic can never find anything else to do with it. It isn't fast, like my Accord Sedan was, but it is comfortable, quiet, and very good on gas, about 30 mpg-awesome for a wagon! It has good ergonomics; all gadgets are easily accessible, seats are well placed but I am short so I wish the seats could adjust more. The front windows are slow, but overall this car is a 9 1/2. IT is a typical Honda-reliable to the bone.

Comfortable seats, pretty color, ergonomics

needs V-6

Roomy, reliable, and stealthy
By nominivan4me

1997 Honda Accord Wagon LX 4dr Wagon

Wanted something bigger to haul more people/gear, and still gets good mpg. The Accord wagon with a 5-spd is a near perfect solution. While hauling either bikes, skis, or kayaks on the roof it gets over 30 mpg, and 33 mpg without. Parts are reasonable, it is Honda reliable, drives great, does not wander like a minivan, and in winter with a full set of snow tires goes almost anywhere. Compared to an Outback it handles better, has more room, and gets about 6 more mpg.

Drivablity, gas mileage, ability to haul people and gear, storage compartments, keyless entry, full-size spare.

Re-introduce it. Many people are sick of minivans, and wagons seem to be making a come back. (1997 was the last year made)