Used 1997 Honda Accord LX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Good Car
By tim d

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

My wife had one of these for her first new car. Very reliable, easy to maintain and drive. Mileage was 30MPG combined, which was exceptional. A few minor problems: clutch start interlock switch (fixed myself) and a/c condenser kept getting stopped up with leaves and spilling water on floor (dealer wanted $200 to install a screen to keep this from happening). Fairly fun to drive and reasonably fast for a basic car. We had the coupe, but should have spent the money on the sedan so we could get more use out of it after we had kids.

Extra-crisp 5 speed transmission (reminded me of the early Acura Legends). Low cost of operation. Large trunk, reasonably comfortable. Probably should have never gotten rid of this, it was a good car. Overall simplicity was a nice departure from today's cars. I wish my 07 Odyssey was this good.

Better power windows (too slow) and better engineered A/C system. Paint quality could have been better.

Great car, sad it's getting old...
By Esseppi

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I boght this car knowing very little about the reputation of the Accord. Loved it from the first second of driving. Extremely reliable, only had to replace radiator once and battery another time. Extremely fuel efficient.

reliability, fuel efficiency.

get the v6, for more power

from a tuner's perspective
By kevin murphy

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Ok, if you are interested in adding performance parts to this car you are in luck, there are tons of them available. The car handles well stock but adding a new set of swaybars, lowering springs, struts, and tires will litterly make this handle better than 95% of the cars on the road today. The car has the makings of a great handler. If power is your thing, the stock engine is not what you are looking for. i have the non-vtec so i cant comment but mine is sufficent but by no means fast. You may want to add an H22 out of a prelude. this is what im doing. Styling is subjective but i will say this. The car is very bland stcok so you can add body kits ect. and

fully indepenent suspension, steering feel, intieror, quality build.

better stock stereo, yes the power windows are slow but spray some silicone lube in the window channels and it will help reduce the friction and they will be fine. stock alloy wheels for lx models, remove ugly black side panals from door

Grrrreat Car
By jdsharc

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is my 3rd Honda (83 Civic wagon, 86 Accord) and I've driven the stuff out of it. The only money I've put into it has been a timing belt - required - and some A/C work - not Honda's strongest link. I have no complaints about this car. Can see the benefits of a 5-speed, though and it's a blast to drive.

Manual transmission, gas mileage, handling

Power (especially when using A/C)

Low Maitenece, High Reliability
By alig

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is my second accord. My first was an '88 LX that went for 200,000 miles without any major mechanical repairs (only brake jobs and oil changes). The only reason I got rid of it was a car accident. I was quick to buy another accord. Since I do a lot of traveling I put 46,000 miles on the car within the first 2yrs (I bought it at 60,000) Now at over 100,000 miles, I have only needed to replace the brakes (a regular maitenance item). I would definately recommend this car for anyone.

great visibility, handles well, quick to respond. Size and value.

body style... although they did change it in 2000 and 2003...looks much better