1997 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Good Car
By tim d on 11/09/09 21:32 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

My wife had one of these for her first new car. Very reliable, easy to maintain and drive. Mileage was 30MPG combined, which was exceptional. A few minor problems: clutch start interlock switch (fixed myself) and a/c condenser kept getting stopped up with leaves and spilling water on floor (dealer wanted $200 to install a screen to keep this from happening). Fairly fun to drive and reasonably fast for a basic car. We had the coupe, but should have spent the money on the sedan so we could get more use out of it after we had kids.

Great car, sad it's getting old...
By Esseppi on 11/23/07 17:37 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I boght this car knowing very little about the reputation of the Accord. Loved it from the first second of driving. Extremely reliable, only had to replace radiator once and battery another time. Extremely fuel efficient.

from a tuner's perspective
By kevin murphy on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Ok, if you are interested in adding performance parts to this car you are in luck, there are tons of them available. The car handles well stock but adding a new set of swaybars, lowering springs, struts, and tires will litterly make this handle better than 95% of the cars on the road today. The car has the makings of a great handler. If power is your thing, the stock engine is not what you are looking for. i have the non-vtec so i cant comment but mine is sufficent but by no means fast. You may want to add an H22 out of a prelude. this is what im doing. Styling is subjective but i will say this. The car is very bland stcok so you can add body kits ect. and

Grrrreat Car
By jdsharc on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is my 3rd Honda (83 Civic wagon, 86 Accord) and I've driven the stuff out of it. The only money I've put into it has been a timing belt - required - and some A/C work - not Honda's strongest link. I have no complaints about this car. Can see the benefits of a 5-speed, though and it's a blast to drive.

Low Maitenece, High Reliability
By alig on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is my second accord. My first was an '88 LX that went for 200,000 miles without any major mechanical repairs (only brake jobs and oil changes). The only reason I got rid of it was a car accident. I was quick to buy another accord. Since I do a lot of traveling I put 46,000 miles on the car within the first 2yrs (I bought it at 60,000) Now at over 100,000 miles, I have only needed to replace the brakes (a regular maitenance item). I would definately recommend this car for anyone.

Mixed feeling...
By likes2ski on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I consider this car basic transportion only. I neiether love or hate the styling. The single most important issue i have seen is the automatic transmission.I dont think most people will ever notice it but yes it does shift a little rough and yes it feels loose at 80,000 and it bothers me. I am starting to be a little conserned about it. so yes, the auto is not the greatest and i would consider it before buying one. This is a car i would drive anywhere and not worry. Buy the car, youll like it.

Wan't the worst car - get a Honda Accord
By DavidG1023 on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is my sesond and last Honda. After reading all the reviews here and in Consumer Reports I figured my first experience with a Honda (car had to be sold for junk with less than 100,000 miles) was an anaomoly. Wrong. My second Honda is just as bad. Fuel pump blew, electrical system has more things wrong than right, alternator had to be replaced. If you want to be stranded multiple times then the Honda Accord is the car for you. I'm going elsewhere

Don't buy a Honda Accord
By Beatrice57 on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

What a horrible, horrible car - in the shop, and on the side of the road wayyyy too many times. Ignition switch gone (replaced under recall after being stranded) electrical problems galore, power windows don't work, etc. Honda's are supposed to be reliable - well you can't prove it by me.

forever honda
By cici on 06/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

low mileage, great shape, one owner, maintenance kept up as scheduled