Used 1997 Honda Accord Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord Coupe

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Accords rule!
By tennisballs

1997 Honda Accord Coupe Special Edition 2dr Coupe

I have really enjoyed this car. It has been incredibly reliable. I've been driving it for 11 years and would drive it for 10 more if my family didn't need a bigger car now.

Good Car
By tim d

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

My wife had one of these for her first new car. Very reliable, easy to maintain and drive. Mileage was 30MPG combined, which was exceptional. A few minor problems: clutch start interlock switch (fixed myself) and a/c condenser kept getting stopped up with leaves and spilling water on floor (dealer wanted $200 to install a screen to keep this from happening). Fairly fun to drive and reasonably fast for a basic car. We had the coupe, but should have spent the money on the sedan so we could get more use out of it after we had kids.

Favorite Features

Extra-crisp 5 speed transmission (reminded me of the early Acura Legends). Low cost of operation. Large trunk, reasonably comfortable. Probably should have never gotten rid of this, it was a good car. Overall simplicity was a nice departure from today's cars. I wish my 07 Odyssey was this good.

Suggested Improvements

Better power windows (too slow) and better engineered A/C system. Paint quality could have been better.

This my first car and I love it
By red97

1997 Honda Accord Coupe Special Edition 2dr Coupe

I love this car, it is so fun - it drives better than a Benz. The 4 cylinder is very fast and responsive. Great gas mileage. The only problems I've had so far is the front axles had to be replaced and the starter and solenoid, that's about it. The ac stinks but I got sun roof so it's all good and the seat belts are horrible they choke you but the seats are extremely comfy. Plus the trunk is very roomy. I once got three kids, two ice chests, 3 tents, 2 adults, a million blankets etc. and food in my car. Oh and tiki torches out the sun roof.

Favorite Features

Sun roof. Performance. Gas mileage, style and quality.

Suggested Improvements

door handles, window motors, and air

Great car - Honda's last forever
By Accord Fan

1997 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Great all around car: good handling, comfortable for me at 6'2", quiet, no squeaks or rattles in a 12 year old car with 145k miles!, good mpg especially with the 5 spd, parts are cheap and plentiful - new kits for all front joints / tie rod ends for $100 on eBay.

Favorite Features

reliability, plentiful and affordable parts for the occasional maintenance, good mpg / performance balance

Suggested Improvements

only the ones you can add on your own: cold air intake, header and free flowing but quiet exhaust - adds 10HP and 2-3 mpg.

Great car
By sara

1997 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I got my Honda for my 16th birthday. My Dad has bought it brand new, and passed it on to me. I've put over 100K on it in the past 3 years, and other than needing some minor repairs that you can expect with any 11 year old car with 200,000 miles on it, I haven't had any problems with my Honda. Unfortunately, I flipped it last week and it's not repairable (at least not for way more than the $3,000 it's worth now) - I wish I could afford a new accord, but as a college student I definitely can't. Great car to give a new driver - it's sporty, had great mpg, is reliable, and holds up great in a crash - I flipped going 70 on the highway and walked away with nothing more than some bruises. Great car

Favorite Features

Sunroof, mpg, speed

Suggested Improvements

Since this car is a '97, it's hard to say. more comfortable interior fabric, perhaps