1997 Honda Accord Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Accords rule!
By tennisballs on 06/04/10 18:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe Special Edition 2dr Coupe

I have really enjoyed this car. It has been incredibly reliable. I've been driving it for 11 years and would drive it for 10 more if my family didn't need a bigger car now.

Good Car
By tim d on 11/09/09 21:32 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

My wife had one of these for her first new car. Very reliable, easy to maintain and drive. Mileage was 30MPG combined, which was exceptional. A few minor problems: clutch start interlock switch (fixed myself) and a/c condenser kept getting stopped up with leaves and spilling water on floor (dealer wanted $200 to install a screen to keep this from happening). Fairly fun to drive and reasonably fast for a basic car. We had the coupe, but should have spent the money on the sedan so we could get more use out of it after we had kids.

This my first car and I love it
By red97 on 11/05/09 08:30 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe Special Edition 2dr Coupe

I love this car, it is so fun - it drives better than a Benz. The 4 cylinder is very fast and responsive. Great gas mileage. The only problems I've had so far is the front axles had to be replaced and the starter and solenoid, that's about it. The ac stinks but I got sun roof so it's all good and the seat belts are horrible they choke you but the seats are extremely comfy. Plus the trunk is very roomy. I once got three kids, two ice chests, 3 tents, 2 adults, a million blankets etc. and food in my car. Oh and tiki torches out the sun roof.

Great car - Honda's last forever
By Accord Fan on 03/28/09 17:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Great all around car: good handling, comfortable for me at 6'2", quiet, no squeaks or rattles in a 12 year old car with 145k miles!, good mpg especially with the 5 spd, parts are cheap and plentiful - new kits for all front joints / tie rod ends for $100 on eBay.

Great car
By sara on 09/12/08 04:44 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I got my Honda for my 16th birthday. My Dad has bought it brand new, and passed it on to me. I've put over 100K on it in the past 3 years, and other than needing some minor repairs that you can expect with any 11 year old car with 200,000 miles on it, I haven't had any problems with my Honda. Unfortunately, I flipped it last week and it's not repairable (at least not for way more than the $3,000 it's worth now) - I wish I could afford a new accord, but as a college student I definitely can't. Great car to give a new driver - it's sporty, had great mpg, is reliable, and holds up great in a crash - I flipped going 70 on the highway and walked away with nothing more than some bruises. Great car

Best Car Ever! 97' 2 dr se
By Rob Elliott on 07/25/08 12:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe Special Edition 2dr Coupe

Bought it w/18 miles on it in dec. 96'. It now has 215,000. Zero problems. Only 15 oil changes in 11 years. One new battery & a few tires. Still looks & drives like new. Solid car. Have gotten my money out of it. Still gets over 400 miles on a full tank that holds 13 gallons. I've opened the hood twice. Once when I bought it and again last year when I put a new battery in it. Priceless.

Great car, sad it's getting old...
By Esseppi on 11/23/07 17:37 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I boght this car knowing very little about the reputation of the Accord. Loved it from the first second of driving. Extremely reliable, only had to replace radiator once and battery another time. Extremely fuel efficient.

i love my honda!
By accord ny on 05/29/05 19:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I own a 97 Accord EX 2dr. I purchased the car 9 months ago and have put 16,000 miles on it. I've driven it from NY to FL 4 times and all I have done is change the oil. I owned a 96 Civic before this, and would definitly buy another honda. The check engine light is on, but I'm not sure why. It's probably something small since I've put 12,000 miles on it like that. Drives very smooth, good gas mileage, roomy trunk for such a small car, the sound system sounds great even though it's stock. i love all the features too, because mine has the 6-disc changer and sunroof. the power windows are slow, especially the passenger side one. overall, a fabulous car that i would reccomend to anyone.

Reliable
By Sid on 03/08/05 13:25 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe Special Edition 2dr Coupe

Like the other posts say, the car is relibile. Only took it to the shop once.. to do a valve adjustment because I didn't want to do it myself. Everything else I worked on and it's been running great. There's so many things you can customize on this car. The service manual for this car is the best manual I've ever seen. Shows you how to do everything in detail steps.. Honda is known for this.Power Windows can be a problem. Had to replace the driver side power window assembly twice. Power Windows are slow due the flimsy design of the pulley system. Too much tension being place on the cable.Over all it's been a very good car.. It's taken a lot of abuse and keeps on working!

from a tuner's perspective
By kevin murphy on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Ok, if you are interested in adding performance parts to this car you are in luck, there are tons of them available. The car handles well stock but adding a new set of swaybars, lowering springs, struts, and tires will litterly make this handle better than 95% of the cars on the road today. The car has the makings of a great handler. If power is your thing, the stock engine is not what you are looking for. i have the non-vtec so i cant comment but mine is sufficent but by no means fast. You may want to add an H22 out of a prelude. this is what im doing. Styling is subjective but i will say this. The car is very bland stcok so you can add body kits ect. and