Used 1997 Honda Accord EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Not a Viper but awesome still
By Darling, N

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

I have had this car almost 2 years and only had to do oil changes (on time, always). My mechanic can never find anything else to do with it. It isn't fast, like my Accord Sedan was, but it is comfortable, quiet, and very good on gas, about 30 mpg-awesome for a wagon! It has good ergonomics; all gadgets are easily accessible, seats are well placed but I am short so I wish the seats could adjust more. The front windows are slow, but overall this car is a 9 1/2. IT is a typical Honda-reliable to the bone.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, pretty color, ergonomics

Suggested Improvements

needs V-6

Bad MPG, Reliable But Way Overrated
By aguywhoknowscars

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

After searching for over a year, I finally sold my beloved Dodge Caravan cause it only got 16 mpg overall and bought my '97 Accord EX Wagon thinking I'd be getting both economy and utility. Well I got the utility, but not the economy. My EX wagon (4 cyl VTEC) was woefully underpowered and got, at best, only 18 mpg combined. I'm very mechanical and know a lot about cars. I do not drive with a lead foot. I ran myself ragged for over a year taking the car to 3 or 4 mechanics (including the dealership) to try to remedy the problem. Everything's "normal" was what I was told. Fed up, I sold the car after 1 year of unsuccessfully trying to improve the mpg problem. Car had less than 50K.

Suggested Improvements

Could've been great except very underpowered. Why they didn't make the V-6 available in the wagon I'll never understand, especially since it was the heaviest model in the line up, and that the wagon's primary demographic sales target was people with families. Bad product planning on Honda's part.

Wag On!
By texasblueknight

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

This Honda Accord EX Wagon was my first brand new car and the last wagon in the dealership showroom. Almost eight years and 83500 miles later, it is still as reliable as the day we bought it. Absolutely no issues, save for the sluggish driver side power window. A recent tune up has made the ride and drive like brand new again. I've since bought a Toyota Sequoia and a Lexus LS400 but the wagon is still my daily driver and will likely remain so for years to come.

Favorite Features

A lot of cargo space. Good gas mileage (24 - 26 mpg). Moonroof.

Dependable, trouble-free transportation
By ivorykeyer

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

We bought this car used (17K miles) in a hurry when our disaster of a Taurus Wagon had a catastrophic engine problem. Our primary goal was to get a car that wouldn't require monthly visits to the mechanic and in this the Accord has been a rousing success. Other than power window problems (front windows becoming progressively slower as time goes on) the car has performed absolutely flawlessly. I use it for a long daily commute (100 miles/day) and it is very comfortable with decent gas mileage (23-25 MPG). While not exciting visually or performance-wise, it has lots of room and has been a great and extremely reliable car for our basic transportation needs.

Favorite Features

Did I mention the great reliability? Decent mileage for a mid-size vehicle. Mileage and cargo space are both better than your typical SUV. Resale value.

Suggested Improvements

The oft-reported power window problems are obviously an issue. For basic transportation, everything else is just fine.

Love Honda
By mdgottse

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

Excellent family car! It's my second Honda, and I'm still in love.