1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Wish I Could Keep It
By Brenda Eiland on 04/09/10 22:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

The only reason I am buying a new car, and turning the beloved '97 LX wagon over to a relative, is that my leg can no longer handle any clutch and the car has a standard transmission. Otherwise, I'd pay what it took to restore! The windows are slow, and some plastic pieces broke (holding visor and rear cargo space cover). Hubcaps' paint peeled but new ones weren't expensive. Has had good mechanical attention. Timing belt replacement at recommended mileage was difficult per an excellent mechanic who said he won't do it after the next 100,000 miles. Had 2 axle boots replaced, but the originals might have been weakened by being hit in the side by 2 big deer almost simultaneously. Tough car.

Wagons are back!
By choda on 04/23/09 10:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

Bought used with 95000, after selling our 95 Accord damaged in hail storm. This LX wagon has been reliable, although it has a couple of issues. The slow electric windows, starting to smell antifreeze and the worst is the paint clearcoat is failing. The automatic trans requires more frequent fluid changes than most or it will act up. Gets 25+mpg, not quite as good as the 95 Accord sedan. Performance is fine for normal driving. It's too bad the paint is going away. New paint is so expensive I will be selling this car.

So good I completely reconditioned it
By JOHN PINE on 07/18/08 19:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

This car I gave to my daughter in 2003. After 5 years it looked like it had been driven in a demolition derby but it ran almost perfectly. How much do I think of this car? I completely re-did the exterior and interior, spending $3000. She'll have to earn the right to drive it again. In my opinion this wagon is a true classic!

Roomy, reliable, and stealthy
By nominivan4me on 08/22/07 22:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

Wanted something bigger to haul more people/gear, and still gets good mpg. The Accord wagon with a 5-spd is a near perfect solution. While hauling either bikes, skis, or kayaks on the roof it gets over 30 mpg, and 33 mpg without. Parts are reasonable, it is Honda reliable, drives great, does not wander like a minivan, and in winter with a full set of snow tires goes almost anywhere. Compared to an Outback it handles better, has more room, and gets about 6 more mpg.

The Best Ever
By Tober on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

This has been our "second" car -- the other is a 5 series BMW, also a fine car. However, this Honda is without a doubt the best yet. For whatever strange reason, probably to compete in the SUV market, Honda no longer makes wagons. It is a shame. This car does everything, and more, that a owner could ever want. Comfort, pickup, space for dogs and or children and or adults and old folks, fuel economy and mileage range, great exterior and interior design, you name it, it has it and it does it. Don't have a clue, when it comes time, as to how to replace it.

Accord Wagons Rule!
By rhodieboy on 04/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

I have loved this car since the day I drove it off the lot! It's stylish, sporty and best of all, its a station wagon. My two dogs fit great in the back. Honda makes a great car. Spirited performance, tight suspension, rock solid reliability. With close to 90k miles now my "eucalyptus green pearl" LX 5 speed is great! No major problems other than a d/s window actuator and the airbag sensor both of which were covered under warranty... I am up to change the timing belt which might be $$$$! The cheapest Honda dealer wins!

Yowzah!
By dreddy on 03/16/02 23:11 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Wagon

Bought with 9K miles after searching for 2 mo (5spd was hard to find). This is easily the most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Engine holding up well despite my frequent visits to redline and beyond. Fun to drive. Generally very happy with this car, but could use more power.