Used 1997 Honda Accord EX Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Strong and Reliable 5-speed!
By FireBreathOpal

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I've owned mostly Toyota, an 88 and 89 Camry, a 97 4Runner and an 06 Prius. I've owned an 04 Volvo S60 and a Mitsubishi Magna. I only owned one other Honda, a 90 Civic and that was like a lil automatic go-kart that always started up and went everywhere. My girlfriend killed that car due to ATF filling difficulties on her part.:) I bought this white 97' accord in 2012 along with a 94' same model for my spouse so we could interchange parts along the way which ended up happening btw. I LOVED THIS car, it was peppy and quick, acted like a snow tank (with winter treads) through snowstorms; efficient as could be with avg 26 - 35 mpg depending on temps outside and how grippy the tires are (summers get 35mpg, winters down to 26); fun to drive with the classic Honda shifting action and sound of the motor correlating so well to each gear; and the sheer simplicity of working on these cars, they are so easy to change out parts and maintain. I have to sell my car now because can't keep due to moving overseas. =( I've hauled 2 kids in the back seat and much stuff in it's capably sized trunk. I love this car and it looks goood in it's new clean, polish, and waxed look and its Honda 7 spoke alloy rims. The JVC bluetooth/USB/aux stereo in it sounds really good with the stock speakers on this model year. I noticed when I hooked up newer Pioneer and Polk speakers and they didn't sound as good.

This car also has decent clearance and ability to go camping with here in Colorado. Gonna miss this car. Will definitely buy another Honda.

Great car - Honda's last forever
By Accord Fan

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Great all around car: good handling, comfortable for me at 6'2", quiet, no squeaks or rattles in a 12 year old car with 145k miles!, good mpg especially with the 5 spd, parts are cheap and plentiful - new kits for all front joints / tie rod ends for $100 on eBay.

reliability, plentiful and affordable parts for the occasional maintenance, good mpg / performance balance

only the ones you can add on your own: cold air intake, header and free flowing but quiet exhaust - adds 10HP and 2-3 mpg.

Great car
By sara

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I got my Honda for my 16th birthday. My Dad has bought it brand new, and passed it on to me. I've put over 100K on it in the past 3 years, and other than needing some minor repairs that you can expect with any 11 year old car with 200,000 miles on it, I haven't had any problems with my Honda. Unfortunately, I flipped it last week and it's not repairable (at least not for way more than the $3,000 it's worth now) - I wish I could afford a new accord, but as a college student I definitely can't. Great car to give a new driver - it's sporty, had great mpg, is reliable, and holds up great in a crash - I flipped going 70 on the highway and walked away with nothing more than some bruises. Great car

Sunroof, mpg, speed

Since this car is a '97, it's hard to say. more comfortable interior fabric, perhaps

i love my honda!
By accord ny

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I own a 97 Accord EX 2dr. I purchased the car 9 months ago and have put 16,000 miles on it. I've driven it from NY to FL 4 times and all I have done is change the oil. I owned a 96 Civic before this, and would definitly buy another honda. The check engine light is on, but I'm not sure why. It's probably something small since I've put 12,000 miles on it like that. Drives very smooth, good gas mileage, roomy trunk for such a small car, the sound system sounds great even though it's stock. i love all the features too, because mine has the 6-disc changer and sunroof. the power windows are slow, especially the passenger side one. overall, a fabulous car that i would reccomend to anyone.

reliability, fuel economy, smooth ride and handling

power windows

Fun to Drive
By jk1601

This is my third Accord and I bought it
off a lease in 99. Compared to my
previous 89 DX, this thing has power,
since it's 5 speed with VTEC engine.
IT's my first car with power everything
and I really love to drive it, 50
miles/day to work. But 3 years after
buying it, I think it needs even more
power. The the only problem I've had is
the power door locks failed. It's got
80,000 miles and going strong.

Sunroof, great sound system, 5speed is great for winter driving and great gas mileage - 31 mpg.

More powerful engine and smoother transmission for shifting.