1997 Honda Accord 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

1997 Accord Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great car - Honda's last forever
By Accord Fan

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

Great all around car: good handling, comfortable for me at 6'2", quiet, no squeaks or rattles in a 12 year old car with 145k miles!, good mpg especially with the 5 spd, parts are cheap and plentiful - new kits for all front joints / tie rod ends for $100 on eBay.

Favorite Features

reliability, plentiful and affordable parts for the occasional maintenance, good mpg / performance balance

Suggested Improvements

only the ones you can add on your own: cold air intake, header and free flowing but quiet exhaust - adds 10HP and 2-3 mpg.

Great car
By sara

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I got my Honda for my 16th birthday. My Dad has bought it brand new, and passed it on to me. I've put over 100K on it in the past 3 years, and other than needing some minor repairs that you can expect with any 11 year old car with 200,000 miles on it, I haven't had any problems with my Honda. Unfortunately, I flipped it last week and it's not repairable (at least not for way more than the $3,000 it's worth now) - I wish I could afford a new accord, but as a college student I definitely can't. Great car to give a new driver - it's sporty, had great mpg, is reliable, and holds up great in a crash - I flipped going 70 on the highway and walked away with nothing more than some bruises. Great car

Favorite Features

Sunroof, mpg, speed

Suggested Improvements

Since this car is a '97, it's hard to say. more comfortable interior fabric, perhaps

i love my honda!
By accord ny

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

I own a 97 Accord EX 2dr. I purchased the car 9 months ago and have put 16,000 miles on it. I've driven it from NY to FL 4 times and all I have done is change the oil. I owned a 96 Civic before this, and would definitly buy another honda. The check engine light is on, but I'm not sure why. It's probably something small since I've put 12,000 miles on it like that. Drives very smooth, good gas mileage, roomy trunk for such a small car, the sound system sounds great even though it's stock. i love all the features too, because mine has the 6-disc changer and sunroof. the power windows are slow, especially the passenger side one. overall, a fabulous car that i would reccomend to anyone.

Favorite Features

reliability, fuel economy, smooth ride and handling

Suggested Improvements

power windows

Fun to Drive
By jk1601

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

This is my third Accord and I bought it off a lease in 99. Compared to my previous 89 DX, this thing has power, since it's 5 speed with VTEC engine. IT's my first car with power everything and I really love to drive it, 50 miles/day to work. But 3 years after buying it, I think it needs even more power. The the only problem I've had is the power door locks failed. It's got 80,000 miles and going strong.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, great sound system, 5speed is great for winter driving and great gas mileage - 31 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

More powerful engine and smoother transmission for shifting.

Sacrificing performance for reliability
By REL

1997 Honda Accord EX 2dr Coupe

As most Honda owners will agree, the Accord is about as close to "bulletproof" as it gets. Mine currently has a bit over 60,000 miles and all I have had to do is change out the original set of tires. What the car lacks in performance and styling, it clearly makes up in reliability and comfort.

Favorite Features

Of the 1997 Accords, I prefer the larger 4-cylinder engine of the EX (even though it doesn't hold a candle to the newer models)

Suggested Improvements

Simply put, the 4-cylinder engine of the 1997 Accord needs more power. It has excellent handling and braking, and would be an incredibly fun car with a bit more power. In hindsight, I wish that I had taken the extra time to seek out an Accord with the optional V-6.