Used 1997 Honda Accord EX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Most Helpful|
10 Years Old
By Kolbow

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great to drive. Having a manual transmission makes it more fun to drive. I hate to give this up. I hope I can get one more winter out of it.

Good Car but expensive repairs
By Dockter

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2000 with 74,000 miles. I now have 187,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with the engine. My complaints are slow rolling windows, suspension has been replaced twice, A/C doesn't work even when it was working and now that it's 11 yrs old the radiator, engine mount and cam seal for timing belt and power steering are all leaking or broken and need to be repaired to the tune of $2,000.00. I just put in $1500 in new locks, actuators, tires and suspension. It's not worth it to me to pay that much since I will only get around $3,000.00 for the car...maybe less. So time for a new one. I'm bummed because the engine rocked and it was a comfy ride.

Favorite Features

Sun roof, stereo system, engine.

Suggested Improvements

A/C, suspension, speed of windows. Noise. Car rattles.

By far my favorite car I've owned
By tabby

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

My poor accord had it's last ride 5 days ago. I got broadsided by a huge lifted Chevy Silverado truck on my drivers side door (the truck was going 60 mph on impact) and I walked away from the accident, and only ended up with some stitches (from the broken window glass) and a black eye. The police said they'd never seen a compact car hold up that well in that severe of a crash, and in most cars I would have been dead. And to top it off, the Chevy truck had minimal damage but wouldn't start, and my crushed Honda still started, drove, and all the electrical still worked. Furthermore, I have not had any problems ever with this car, nor had my mom who bought it new. Next car will be another Honda.

Favorite Features

Ran great, no weird noises or rattles. Very solid. Didn't hear outside noise like other compact cars. Fun to commute to LA with.

Suggested Improvements

If anything, better quality interior. My godmother had to replace it fairly soon after she got it.

An excellent first car.
By Steve

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Purchased by my aunt new, I bought this car from her as my first with 80000 miles. I love it! In my aunt's care and my own short stint owning the car, its been stone reliable. The car has a much more engaging drive than the later 98-02 Accords.

Favorite Features

EX = sunroof, power accessories, and 4 wheel discs w/ABS. peppy motor VTEC I4, good brakes, gas mileage, nice ride, drives like a go cart--quick and direct steering.

Suggested Improvements

A touch loud, power driver's seat only with leather package, handsome alloy wheels of 94-95 replaced with ones that look like hubcaps.

Decent car
By Ryan

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

The accord is overall a decent car, but I think there are better choices for the money. Yes, it's a Honda. The engine will run for 250k miles. But that's only if you maintain it properly (not everyone does) and maintaining a Honda is rather expensive. If you buy a Honda with 100k miles on it, be prepared to spend another $1-2k on it right away to keep it going. It will need timing belt, water pump, and suspension replacements. I think people have misconceptions about what Hondas are. They're not above normal wear and tear. Beyond this, any Honda built before 1998 has terrible structural rigidity so expect a lot of flex and rattling. Interior doesn't hold up all that well either.

Favorite Features

Refined 4 cyl, smooth ride, classic look, resale value, safety, parts availability.

Suggested Improvements

More durable and higher quality interior, cheaper dealer service, less hype. Tighter chassis structure.