1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Good Car but expensive repairs
By Dockter on 05/30/08 16:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2000 with 74,000 miles. I now have 187,000 miles on it and I've never had a problem with the engine. My complaints are slow rolling windows, suspension has been replaced twice, A/C doesn't work even when it was working and now that it's 11 yrs old the radiator, engine mount and cam seal for timing belt and power steering are all leaking or broken and need to be repaired to the tune of $2,000.00. I just put in $1500 in new locks, actuators, tires and suspension. It's not worth it to me to pay that much since I will only get around $3,000.00 for the car...maybe less. So time for a new one. I'm bummed because the engine rocked and it was a comfy ride.

By far my favorite car I've owned
By tabby on 04/08/08 20:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

My poor accord had it's last ride 5 days ago. I got broadsided by a huge lifted Chevy Silverado truck on my drivers side door (the truck was going 60 mph on impact) and I walked away from the accident, and only ended up with some stitches (from the broken window glass) and a black eye. The police said they'd never seen a compact car hold up that well in that severe of a crash, and in most cars I would have been dead. And to top it off, the Chevy truck had minimal damage but wouldn't start, and my crushed Honda still started, drove, and all the electrical still worked. Furthermore, I have not had any problems ever with this car, nor had my mom who bought it new. Next car will be another Honda.

10 Years Old
By Kolbow on 12/10/06 14:08 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great to drive. Having a manual transmission makes it more fun to drive. I hate to give this up. I hope I can get one more winter out of it.

Decent car
By Ryan on 10/30/06 12:19 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

The accord is overall a decent car, but I think there are better choices for the money. Yes, it's a Honda. The engine will run for 250k miles. But that's only if you maintain it properly (not everyone does) and maintaining a Honda is rather expensive. If you buy a Honda with 100k miles on it, be prepared to spend another $1-2k on it right away to keep it going. It will need timing belt, water pump, and suspension replacements. I think people have misconceptions about what Hondas are. They're not above normal wear and tear. Beyond this, any Honda built before 1998 has terrible structural rigidity so expect a lot of flex and rattling. Interior doesn't hold up all that well either.

An excellent first car.
By Steve on 07/06/06 08:05 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Purchased by my aunt new, I bought this car from her as my first with 80000 miles. I love it! In my aunt's care and my own short stint owning the car, its been stone reliable. The car has a much more engaging drive than the later 98-02 Accords.

Solid car; would buy it again
By Kevin S. on 03/14/06 16:29 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car, then put 1,000 miles on it in the first week. Extremely frugal on gas; averaged 300 miles on a tank of gas in city driving; 400 miles on highway. A/C quit at 150,000 miles; repaired by dealer. Replaced brakes and thermostat; a few tires, but no major work. I'm a Honda driver for life.

97 Accord very reliable
By jh0212 on 07/09/05 20:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Have a 97 accord 4-dr EX w/ 184K miles now. Very reliable. Has lost a little juice and feels underpowered now compared to newer cars, but otherwise runs great. Only problems/complaints: (1) Warped rotors (replaced once, new set warped again), (2) paint is faded and splotchy now, (3) driver's side window slow to slide back up, esp on cold days, (4) A/C is not very strong, (5) mileage is so-so (about 24 mpg in mostly fwy driving, but I don't exactly obey the speed limit either). Not most exciting handling, but more responsive than Camry or some American cars I've driven. Never get tired of my car. Would definitely buy another or recommend to someone.

My Honda
By GDN on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Overall this has been a reliable yet sporty car. Problems: engine light came on at 60,000 miles, which turned into a faulty chip in the engine (under warranty). Power Windows have stopped working in the past but started again VERY slow. Dashboard light that circles the "D" when in drive has just gone out. No other problems.

Honda Accord EX '97
By CelticRainbw on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Reliability and quality are the keys to the '97 Accord's overall performance. It is easy and affordable to maintain - no mechanical or electrical problems. It is easy/fun to drive and responds beautifully (great on wet roads and in snow.)

awesome/dependable car
By losersk8er on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in february after months of searching for it after my 1990 LX was totalled. I love this car even better than the first one i owned. It performs very well, as I have won every race i've ever been in it with. It's also very stylish and i would recommend it to anyone, you'll have fun driving it, and theres plenty of stuff out there u can buy to make it a little more fun if you want.