1997 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Definitely worth the money
By heyguysitsme on 10/17/14 19:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Bought the car from another college student. Already gone on multiple long road trips(100 miles or more one way), and it just keeps on plugging along at 250,000 miles. I drive 80 miles a day round trip on the freeway, and its done very well. 28 mpg average. Only problem is that these cars are supposed to have 17 gallon gas tanks, but when the needle is on empty, mine only takes 13. Not a major issue though. Definitely worth the 1000 dollars I paid for it.

decent first car lasts quite a lot of miles#
By datonechiik on 08/25/14 16:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 230k miles on it, the engine had already been replaced and I did all the maintenance i could on it at around 260k the power steering went out, at 280 the check engine light came on and auto zone could not help, granted i sold the car

No I think I got a bad car
By starv55 on 05/04/14 21:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

I heard honda's are good cars and can last a long time. I bought this for 4000 with 154,000 miles. Was not worth it. The interior easily falls apart. It runs really badly and scares me. It's been in the shop about 4 or 5x in the last two months. it just came right out and already the check engine light is on. it basically shits itself going up any type of hill even a slight hill. it makes obnoxious noises when i lock the doors and randomly makes noises out of nowhere. i got a new starter and it still starts up really scarily. it vibrates and revs while in park. when i put my foot on the gas to accelerate it freaks out. I really hate this car and I pray I will make enough money to get a new 1

BEST CAR!!
By gvnnpd on 06/19/13 18:25 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord Value 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 60k, i now have 120k. Ive only done oil changes along with once a year wax. It looks new and runs great! Ive only needed to do the a/c compressor, which was only $300 what a steal! when my friends same year Saab was 1,200. Boy did he have a Saab story! This car takes you anywhere and everywhere! Ive taken it to Colorado in the mountains, to the beaches of california, never has it ever broken down on me. At times ive though of getting a new car but then i remember that NOTHING compares to the gas and reliability this car has. Its a gold mine, thats why its been rated the #1 stolen in America! crooks know where theres gold mines.

A Consumer Car With Zip
By peterpaul on 01/27/13 20:38 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord EX V6 4dr Sedan

This is my second Honda Accord in the last few years. My first was a '97 Honda Accord SE with 185,000 miles on it that I bought from a junkyard for essentially nothing: it zipped around fine, sipped gas, and was cheap to repair. It died (lesson, never buy a used car without a maintenance history) as the old owner ragged it. For the above reasons, I bought one last week, a '97 EX with the V6 engine in it. It has 138,000 miles on it and is in excellent condition. It has zip and pep and really gets around town. Even better, as it has all the maintenance records going back to purchase, I can see it has been well kept and for a fraction of other cars. Yay 94-97 Honda Accords!

Great Car!
By camman97 on 11/12/12 20:20 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4dr Sedan

My sister got this car when she was 15 and it had 50k miles on it and now shes 22 and she recently bought a new fusion but this car was passed down to me and now with 203067 miles on it and we have had only 1 problem and it was the EGR valve but it does have minor faults like the windows and paint but otherwise a fine car and i would buy another one

300,000 miles and going strong
By chilli1 on 07/20/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX V6 4dr Sedan

Over 300,000 miles on original motor and transmission. Almost nothing has ever gone wrong with it, except it would shut off or not start, and problem was a recalled ignition switch, dealer fixed for free. Hope to get a half million miles out of it!

Best Car I've ever owned
By Brian on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

Bought it with 70,000 and currently has 227,000 replaced 1 half axle, 1 battery, upper bushing on front. 34 mpg on highway w/ cruise combined around 28 mpg. At one point at about 110,000 it would just shut off as if I turned the key off but would catch in gear again b/c of it being a 5 speed standard. I called Honda and they told me that it had been recalled for bad ignition switch. Made an appt at the local dealer. Honda replaced everything. igniton switch, points, plugs, cap, wires and even an oil change at NO COST.. Now that's SERVICE! In fact I just bought my wife a 2004 Accord EX.

Great Sedan
By Ozzy on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

Bought a 97 accord over a 2000 civic by the looks and I do no regret it. I've had the timing belt snap on me but because we had no idea of the history and did not take enough caution to change it while it was still good. Previous owner was horrible. With the timing belt change we redid the heads gaskets, radiator, water and etc. Window motors are horribly slow at the front and nice on the back. Ignition assembly had to be changed. Starter changed. OEM speakers are really amazing for their year. Although a lot of work had to be done it was mostly because of previous owner with horrible habits. This car really is great A to B in comfort, speed, and style.

Best Used Car
By owlflfurry on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

My 97' Honda has been a pretty good car. I've had it for 4 years and it now has 150,000 miles. Right at 147,000 miles the A/C stopped blowing cold air. $500 to fix! The other day my door handle on the inside just broke off. The paint on every 97' Honda seems to rust off or something. It looks ugly. I've had to replace the alternator, get a major tune-up, and I had an issue for a couple of years with the computer. It would stall out while driving all the time, just randomly. I had the Honda dealership fix that issue though which was like a $500 issue. My check engine like came on the other day too. There are a lot of repairs needed, but it's old...has a lot of miles and has been a good car