Still My Car of Choice
By Don410 on
1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan
This is the second Honda that I've owned. The car is fun to drive, although it doesn't seem quite as powerful as my 1990 EX. The A/C condenser fan quit at 67,000 miles. Cost of replacement: $230. Just last week, I lost the timing belt at 72,200 miles. I assumed that my '96 had the same timing belt interval as my '90, which was 90,000 miles. Unfortunately, the interval for this engine is 60,000 miles instead! Surprisingly, no engine damage occurred. For some unknown reason, the coil and igniter gave up at the same time I lost the timing belt, so I'm looking at a grand total of almost $1000 in repairs (I am waiting for the new igniter to arrive as I write this).
Favorite Features
I really like the generous center console (mine contains a cell phone, a flashlight, sunglasses, and my razor, and there's still plenty of room for other stuff as well).
Suggested Improvements
The horn buttons are hard to get used to. The temperature adjustment is rather "mushy," and it takes a practiced touch to adjust to the temperature you want. It would also be really nice if Honda decided to start using timing chains instead of belts (I can dream, can't I?)