Used 1996 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Most Helpful|
'96 Honda
By 96 honda

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Honda in Aug 1995. I have close to 186,000 miles. It has been a reliable vehicle, but of course now that it has more miles on it, it is starting to cost a pretty penny for repairs. I had problems with the power windows and locks after about 5 years of ownership. I've had more problems in the past 2 years with the high mileage. I've replaced the radiator, axles, oxygen sensor and a list of other things. My paint has worn and I was told that it is a paint defect. I know other people with the green car with the same problem. I can't complain because I've had the car for almost 12 years with no major problems.

Suggested Improvements

More standard features. Other auto makers are including more than just a radio and clock.

When will it stop?
By Skivs

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this Honda used three years ago from a traveling salesman with 250,000 miles on the clock for a shade under $3,000 and all I have to say is I will own a Honda for the rest of my life! I now have @305,000 mi. on it now and it still runs better than some new cars. Its quick, handles excellently, and keeps going , and going etc. So far just gas and oil and new pads and rotors,(Note to the do it yourselfer, front rotor removal requires expensive specialty tool or complete disassemble of front suspension, bring your patience and band-aids)and an alternator. This thing is just bulletproof. I also drive a newer Chevy Silverado which pales in comparison in reliability. Long live Honda!!!

Favorite Features

Color, green ext, tan leather int. Reliability. Fuel Economy. It just loves to be abused! Oil filter a breeze to change.

Suggested Improvements

Simpler method of front rotor removal. Transmission fill and dipstick access Keyless entry/ alarm gremlins, likes to lock its doors when running with nobody in the car. Note:Aftermarket alarm system most likely the culprit.

Original Owner
By cheeseybrie

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Grandpa bought this car off the lot, and did all routine maintainence at home. Lived at 8,000ft and saw winters of below 0F. Lives with me in summer heat of 120F+ and with 208k miles on it now, still doing all maintaining at home shop. The only problem is a failed transmission just two weeks ago. Such a great car, super reliable, has been across the country and back and on many long road trips, up mountain roads, through the woods, through rivers (literally). treated this car like a truck. NEVER broke down for any reason until now, and worth the money to rebuild the tranny. Would recommend this car to anyone. Just treat her right and she'll do the same

Favorite Features

Interior is roomy, sun/moon rough is great, steering is lovely, brakes last a long time, heater works fantastically

Suggested Improvements

The shifting has always been a little rough, and she would downshift unnecessarily at slight inclines. A/C has always been a weenie, even when recharged, I just don't ever use it.

best car I have owned
By arner

1996 Honda Accord Sedan 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I have 427,000 miles on the Accord and have not had any major problems. I change oil at 7000 miles and use whatever I can find on sale. This car is a keeper.

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control is not sensitive enough to keep the car from speeding up after cresting a hill. Usually gains 3 or 4 mph before backing off. Other Hondas I have had did the same. Engine light comes on, and when checked, nothing is wrong and light does not come on again for 6 months

Many many miles 325K
By jdwebb

1996 Honda Accord Sedan 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I bought car8 years ago for daughter to have basic transportation in Chicago. She did not have place to park it so I started driving it. Bought for $200 with 218K in almost perfect running condition. Drove it to 325K with regular maintenance. Only oddity was the computer died. Had it rebuilt for $400 and drove it on. Sold it to high school student who is still driving it and still looks good. Other cars I have are Lexus, but if they go half the distance they will be considered a good car. Acccords of that era with under 200k are probably a great second car