Used 1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Second Times a Charm
By myhond

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This is actually my second Accord.I love the way this car performs and handles. All the controls are in the right place and the interior is in impeccable condition for a pre-owned vehicle. Gas mileage is great. Although it still doesn't have the same performance as my 2000 which I loved, it still comes in a very close second. The VTEC moves out when you mash on it effortlessly even with the automatic. And the ABS stops on a dime. After keeping it a for a few more years, I'm gonna get yet another Accord.

Sunroof, power height adjustment, alloy rims, VTEC engine, and ABS.

The speakers in the rear will be replaced soon,not enough bass. Leather should have been standard on all EX models

Nothing But Problems
By Kristie

1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car on 3/7/07, with 111,777 miles on it. The carfax report indicated that this was a one-owner car. At 111,972 miles I needed to have the following parts put on the car: front brake pads, rotors and wheel bearings $458.00, rear disc brake pads and rotors $139.40, left front CV shaft assembly $161.90, replacement of complete exhaust from catalytic converter back $398.54. As of today, 4/13/07, the alternator went out, add another $376.00 for the part (if you want one with a reasonable/and/or lifetime warranty). Also, I guess some type of pump has gone out because the windshield washer fluid doesn't work. Worst car I've ever owned.

The Sony CD player.

Accord beats Passat
By Accord Wagoneer

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

When my 2002 VW Passat wagon was diagnosed with over $3000 in repairs for bad components such as starter, wiring to accessories, suspension, etc. I sold it at a huge loss and found a ‘96 Accord Wagon with 79k miles on it. It is such a superior car in reliability and ease to service, there is little to compare. I have two 96 Accords now, they are amazingly reliable, and 11 years on these cars is nothing – they are lively, cheap to own, safe, and fun. I regularly get 25-30 mpg, they start in any weather, owners can service most components, and the web forums are very popular and informative. Pick one of these cars up, they are young at 150k, you can’t go wrong at the prices they go for now.

Reliability, ease of service, mileage and strong 4 cylinder engine.

They got it right with this car. I just wish Honda would bring the Wagons back to the US -the rest of the world has them.

Great car with minimal repairs
By cam0175

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car when my dad was disabled in 2001. He had kept it in the garage with 7,500 miles. Six years later and 181,500 miles later (it has 189,000 now...mostly highway miles) the car has held up. I just replaced the struts and rotors and got new brakes. I also did the usual coolant change and transmission fluid change and had to replace two cv joints. The engine seems to purr now, I guess it is just breaking in! I plan on driving this thing for a long time. The body is in excellent conditions with one scratch and a small ding and the paint still shines when I wash her. I plan on seeing if this things will last me for another 80,000 miles.

Great gas mileage. I always add fuel injection cleaner at least 3 times a week because i drive a lot and it improves gas mileage. I believe the honda has a 15 gallon tank which will give you about 31 gallons or more on the highway.

Road noise is somewhat apparent in the cabin.

1996 Honda Accord DX Sedan
By Duane

1996 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it has been the model of reliability. I bought it because my last car, a 1990 Oldsmobile Calais 442, was on its 3rd head gasket and multiple oil leaks after only 80K miles and wanted a car that would stay out of the shop. My Accord has not been in the shop except for maintenance items to be replaced. It is very roomy in the front, ok in the back and overall comfortable on long trips to drive of which I have taken it on many. The performance is acceptable for what it is. I like high performance cars and I would have bought the VTEC or V6 if I had the money at the time but it was not to be. However, it has competent acceleration and handling for a DX family car.

Reliability, interior room, exterior design

Better quality plastics in the interior