Used 1996 Honda Accord Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great car with minimal repairs
By cam0175

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car when my dad was disabled in 2001. He had kept it in the garage with 7,500 miles. Six years later and 181,500 miles later (it has 189,000 now...mostly highway miles) the car has held up. I just replaced the struts and rotors and got new brakes. I also did the usual coolant change and transmission fluid change and had to replace two cv joints. The engine seems to purr now, I guess it is just breaking in! I plan on driving this thing for a long time. The body is in excellent conditions with one scratch and a small ding and the paint still shines when I wash her. I plan on seeing if this things will last me for another 80,000 miles.

Great gas mileage. I always add fuel injection cleaner at least 3 times a week because i drive a lot and it improves gas mileage. I believe the honda has a 15 gallon tank which will give you about 31 gallons or more on the highway.

Road noise is somewhat apparent in the cabin.

1996 Honda Accord DX Sedan
By Duane

1996 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it has been the model of reliability. I bought it because my last car, a 1990 Oldsmobile Calais 442, was on its 3rd head gasket and multiple oil leaks after only 80K miles and wanted a car that would stay out of the shop. My Accord has not been in the shop except for maintenance items to be replaced. It is very roomy in the front, ok in the back and overall comfortable on long trips to drive of which I have taken it on many. The performance is acceptable for what it is. I like high performance cars and I would have bought the VTEC or V6 if I had the money at the time but it was not to be. However, it has competent acceleration and handling for a DX family car.

Reliability, interior room, exterior design

Better quality plastics in the interior

My Best Friend
By s.macquaig

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Accord, I have 152,000 miles on the present one and I really do not ever want to get rid of it. I have only had to replace batteries and I have been faithful getting timing belt, etc changed on schedule. I was a home health rn. working out in the country and put many miles on it, son had it for 1 semester at college, this car drove me to Florida about 2,000 miles round trip when I evacuated New Orleans from Katrina.I have retired to northern Michigan 3 months ago,and "my best friend" now has nice warm garage and loves to drive on the snow! My son lives here also and after my luck with honda, bought a Honda station wagon from private owner 1984/186,000 mi+ runs like a top.

Dependability, easy drive.My sister drove me back to new orleans after i evacuated to her home in southern Fl.not only is the car fun to drive I enjoyed passenger feel, safe and the car has enough weight to feel safe.

For some reason I seemed to get in trouble with my tires and the problem was always with the stems. I would wager I had to have at least 8-10 stems replaced after the tire lost air.no other cause for the flat

1996 Honda EX six cylinder
By KenStewart

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. Gas mileage is good, about 27 mpg at speeds up to 70 mph. Gas mileage declines above 70mph. ~21 mpg climbing Rocky Mtns @80 mph. Gas mileage is 24-26 mpg in city traffic. Handles well on dry road, wet road, and snow covered roads. I've driven it through Needles California when the outdoor temperature was 120 degrees F with no problems -- air conditioner functioned well and engine coolant temperature remained normal. Interior is comfortable with four adults. Ride quality is good with 1 to 4 people. Fill the car with 4 people and the trunk with luggage then the car feels heavy.

Anti-lock breaks, large trunk, map lights.

Needs an auxiliary power outlet in addition to the standard cigarette lighter.

What you can expect in repairs!!
By Bruce

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car for Reliability. Below are my service records: 1. Timing Belt replaced 88K 2. New Radiator - 130K 3. Temperature senor - 140K 4. Vaccum hose fell off - 167K 5. Oil pan gasket - 170K 6. Rear main seal - 176K 7. Distributor o-ring and engine gasket - 176K 8. oxygen senors - 176K 9. Also, tires, battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, gas filter, replaced brakes, replace transmission fluid, coil wire and distributor cap / rotor. (Normal repair items)

The oldest car with the most miles I have ever owned. The car costed $18k new and only $2K in lifetime repairs. Not bad for 11 years and 178K miles.

Nothing!!