1996 Honda Accord Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Second Times a Charm
By myhond on 04/16/07 15:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This is actually my second Accord.I love the way this car performs and handles. All the controls are in the right place and the interior is in impeccable condition for a pre-owned vehicle. Gas mileage is great. Although it still doesn't have the same performance as my 2000 which I loved, it still comes in a very close second. The VTEC moves out when you mash on it effortlessly even with the automatic. And the ABS stops on a dime. After keeping it a for a few more years, I'm gonna get yet another Accord.

Nothing But Problems
By Kristie on 04/13/07 15:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car on 3/7/07, with 111,777 miles on it. The carfax report indicated that this was a one-owner car. At 111,972 miles I needed to have the following parts put on the car: front brake pads, rotors and wheel bearings $458.00, rear disc brake pads and rotors $139.40, left front CV shaft assembly $161.90, replacement of complete exhaust from catalytic converter back $398.54. As of today, 4/13/07, the alternator went out, add another $376.00 for the part (if you want one with a reasonable/and/or lifetime warranty). Also, I guess some type of pump has gone out because the windshield washer fluid doesn't work. Worst car I've ever owned.

Great car with minimal repairs
By cam0175 on 03/01/07 11:57 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car when my dad was disabled in 2001. He had kept it in the garage with 7,500 miles. Six years later and 181,500 miles later (it has 189,000 now...mostly highway miles) the car has held up. I just replaced the struts and rotors and got new brakes. I also did the usual coolant change and transmission fluid change and had to replace two cv joints. The engine seems to purr now, I guess it is just breaking in! I plan on driving this thing for a long time. The body is in excellent conditions with one scratch and a small ding and the paint still shines when I wash her. I plan on seeing if this things will last me for another 80,000 miles.

1996 Honda Accord DX Sedan
By Duane on 12/27/06 07:11 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it has been the model of reliability. I bought it because my last car, a 1990 Oldsmobile Calais 442, was on its 3rd head gasket and multiple oil leaks after only 80K miles and wanted a car that would stay out of the shop. My Accord has not been in the shop except for maintenance items to be replaced. It is very roomy in the front, ok in the back and overall comfortable on long trips to drive of which I have taken it on many. The performance is acceptable for what it is. I like high performance cars and I would have bought the VTEC or V6 if I had the money at the time but it was not to be. However, it has competent acceleration and handling for a DX family car.

My Best Friend
By s.macquaig on 12/12/06 20:28 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is my second Accord, I have 152,000 miles on the present one and I really do not ever want to get rid of it. I have only had to replace batteries and I have been faithful getting timing belt, etc changed on schedule. I was a home health rn. working out in the country and put many miles on it, son had it for 1 semester at college, this car drove me to Florida about 2,000 miles round trip when I evacuated New Orleans from Katrina.I have retired to northern Michigan 3 months ago,and "my best friend" now has nice warm garage and loves to drive on the snow! My son lives here also and after my luck with honda, bought a Honda station wagon from private owner 1984/186,000 mi+ runs like a top.

1996 Honda EX six cylinder
By KenStewart on 10/11/06 09:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX V6 4dr Sedan

This is a great car. Gas mileage is good, about 27 mpg at speeds up to 70 mph. Gas mileage declines above 70mph. ~21 mpg climbing Rocky Mtns @80 mph. Gas mileage is 24-26 mpg in city traffic. Handles well on dry road, wet road, and snow covered roads. I've driven it through Needles California when the outdoor temperature was 120 degrees F with no problems -- air conditioner functioned well and engine coolant temperature remained normal. Interior is comfortable with four adults. Ride quality is good with 1 to 4 people. Fill the car with 4 people and the trunk with luggage then the car feels heavy.

What you can expect in repairs!!
By Bruce on 09/08/06 05:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car for Reliability. Below are my service records: 1. Timing Belt replaced 88K 2. New Radiator - 130K 3. Temperature senor - 140K 4. Vaccum hose fell off - 167K 5. Oil pan gasket - 170K 6. Rear main seal - 176K 7. Distributor o-ring and engine gasket - 176K 8. oxygen senors - 176K 9. Also, tires, battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, gas filter, replaced brakes, replace transmission fluid, coil wire and distributor cap / rotor. (Normal repair items)

A Reasonable but Not Exciting Used Car
By emeyer on 09/03/06 10:16 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This review concerns the 5 speed manual LX 4 cylinder model. Driving: The manual shift has always provided a little annoying hesitation coming out of first gear. I like the extra power of the manual transmission for passing. Interior displays are easy and logical. Not an exciting car to drive--but okay. Reliability: This car is now 10 years old and I have had some difficulty with the usual suspects for older cars: brakes and exhaust have been replaced. I have also replaced the starter (strangley). Otherwise the power features continue to work fine. Average amount of repair/maintenance I'd say. Overall I am reasonably happy with the car.

mm
By mg005 on 02/12/06 14:02 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned my Accord for nearly 10 years. It is by far the most reliable and problem free car I have ever owned. It is not the most exciting car to drive; however, I bought the car for reliability and gas mileage and have gotten my monies worth. Currently, I have 165K miles and hope to get 250K.

The "find" of the year!
By #4sGirl on 10/12/05 15:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 32k miles on it from a man whose late wife quite literally only drove it to church, the grocery store and Wal-Mart. It's in fabulous condition for being 9 years old. The only trouble I've had from it are some occasional noises I'm not used to - I've never had a 4c before. I'm loving the low-mileage (I sold my '99 Pathfinder w/ 93k mi to get this car) and the high gas mileage... I plan to drive it for many years to come.