Used 1996 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

A Reasonable but Not Exciting Used Car
By emeyer

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This review concerns the 5 speed manual LX 4 cylinder model. Driving: The manual shift has always provided a little annoying hesitation coming out of first gear. I like the extra power of the manual transmission for passing. Interior displays are easy and logical. Not an exciting car to drive--but okay. Reliability: This car is now 10 years old and I have had some difficulty with the usual suspects for older cars: brakes and exhaust have been replaced. I have also replaced the starter (strangley). Otherwise the power features continue to work fine. Average amount of repair/maintenance I'd say. Overall I am reasonably happy with the car.

Favorite Features

I like the chime, upon exiting the car to let me know I have left the lights on. Otherwise, I can't think of a favorite feature. The car has power everything and given the age of the car- -10 years--I am happy the fetures in general still work.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage for my manual trasmission car is only about 25 miles a gallon. That's for a four cylinder. The trunk design is such that putting the back seats down for extra storage doesn't really work since longer items won't clear the top of the trunk.

mm
By mg005

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned my Accord for nearly 10 years. It is by far the most reliable and problem free car I have ever owned. It is not the most exciting car to drive; however, I bought the car for reliability and gas mileage and have gotten my monies worth. Currently, I have 165K miles and hope to get 250K.

Favorite Features

Reliability and ease of which I can do my own maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Recurring problems with the driver's auto window. It is slow and sticks requiring frequent lubrication.

The "Mayesmobile": A Well-Built Wagon
By Marc Mayes

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Wagon

A silver 1996 Honda Accord wagon has been in our family for so long, it has earned the loving nickname "The Mayesmobile". It has transported us through blizzards and hurricanes reliably and comfortably. For a decade, it has swallowed our hockey gear, musical instruments, friends and animals with ease. After all these years, it is still a peppy* drive, rattle-free over potholes, nimble in the corners and easy to parallel park. As the car has gotten older, we have had a few issues finding parts (struts at 90,000 miles) when we've needed them, but as of yet, no major repairs have been required outside of routine maintenance. It is easily the best car our family has ever owned.

Favorite Features

VTEC Prelude engine, double-wishbone suspension, roof rack and moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

wish it had a 5spd. besides that, it is perfect.

The "find" of the year!
By #4sGirl

1996 Honda Accord DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 32k miles on it from a man whose late wife quite literally only drove it to church, the grocery store and Wal-Mart. It's in fabulous condition for being 9 years old. The only trouble I've had from it are some occasional noises I'm not used to - I've never had a 4c before. I'm loving the low-mileage (I sold my '99 Pathfinder w/ 93k mi to get this car) and the high gas mileage... I plan to drive it for many years to come.

Happy Owner
By King

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I sold a 2002 Ford Ranger, still under factory warranty to purchase a nine year old Honda Accord. I didn't see the point in paying so much more for the truck. I absolutely love my Accord. Maybe because I'm saving a lot of money on gas and monthly payments, or maybe just because it's a great car! When I purchased it, it had just over 100,000 miles and was in near perfect condition. I suspect it will last longer than the Ranger I sold that had 55,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Leather interior, sunroof, standard transmission

Suggested Improvements

The car needs a CD player and after nine years the speakers sound dated-- both of which are easy to have changed out. Road noise is a little high by today's standards.