Used 1996 Honda Accord EX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Accord Sedan

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Will run forever
By mwasilis

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

This is my second honda accord. My last accord was a '92 and sold it with 250k on it and nothing was wrong with it! My 96 honda I have put 100k on it in about 5 years and the thing will go another 150k no problem. This car is extremely reliable and would recommend it to anyone.

buyer beware of this year and the 97
By john

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 EX 4 cyl from a local dealer in MN with warranty in 1999. Had problems about two months later, the check engine light came on, took it back to the dealer and they replaced all they could, covered under the warranty, but the problem still was there. soon after the car started to fall apart, engine bogged, the Vtech failed, gears slipped, figured out later that it was the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) sensor that made the check engine light come on. Honda made some bad vehicles, I only bought this Honda Accord because it looked sportier than a Toyota Camry and now I regret it.

Favorite Features

looks and thats about it, Honda Vtech is nice if it works!? even though I bought this lemon of a Honda, it still held up better than my Chevorlet.

Honda Reliability
By JW

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 5 years so far, and it has been as reliable a car as I have ever owned. Repairs since 78k miles have included, new exhaust, timing belt and water pump, alternator, clutch master cylinder, several CV joints, horn malfunction, plus general maintenance. Overall this is typical for any car over a 70k mile span of time. The EX four cylinder has enough pep, but is not a performance engine. Manual transmission helps extract the most juice out of this powerplant. The interior is spartan but enjoyable. Instrument layout is intuitive and easy to use. Legroom in front is surprisingly good for tall people. I love this car. It isn't flashy, but it's reliable day in and day out.

Favorite Features

Well designed, front-wheel drive in winter, vtec 4 cyl., pwr sunroof, pass thru backseat.

Suggested Improvements

More power, too easy to break into.

200K & It Won't Quit
By kSLC

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Mechanically and with looks, this car is incredible. Over 200K and no oil leaks and looks like new. Doesn't burn oil, doesn't drip, doesn't show any sign of stopping any time soon. Worth twice what Detroit was putting out during that same time! I don't count myself as a Honda nut, but honestly, the engineering of this car is incredible. Planned obsolescence be damned. :)

Favorite Features

Reliability, reliability, reliability. Gas mileage is also amazing. On long drives I can get over 30mpg easily!

Suggested Improvements

Comfort is the only weak spot here. I'm 6'3" and it's tight. Also, the interior is too noisy in my opinion. Also, window locks should lock out others but not the driverís panel - that's always been irritating to me. Also no FOB.

Had to Sell Her
By Rachel

1996 Honda Accord Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

Well, I was the only owner, and I had to sell her. I could not get the check engine light to stay off. I had the distributor changed, and that did not solve the problem. The code was P1382. The car was great until this problem came up. I finally got tired of trying to figure it out. I loved the design of this car, and I will miss her.

Favorite Features

I loved the body style.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise.