1996 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:
Will run forever
By mwasilis on 07/26/10 01:43 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This is my second honda accord. My last accord was a '92 and sold it with 250k on it and nothing was wrong with it! My 96 honda I have put 100k on it in about 5 years and the thing will go another 150k no problem. This car is extremely reliable and would recommend it to anyone.

buyer beware of this year and the 97
By john on 01/12/10 21:23 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1996 EX 4 cyl from a local dealer in MN with warranty in 1999. Had problems about two months later, the check engine light came on, took it back to the dealer and they replaced all they could, covered under the warranty, but the problem still was there. soon after the car started to fall apart, engine bogged, the Vtech failed, gears slipped, figured out later that it was the EGR(exhaust gas recirculation) sensor that made the check engine light come on. Honda made some bad vehicles, I only bought this Honda Accord because it looked sportier than a Toyota Camry and now I regret it.

Honda Reliability
By JW on 08/23/09 18:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 5 years so far, and it has been as reliable a car as I have ever owned. Repairs since 78k miles have included, new exhaust, timing belt and water pump, alternator, clutch master cylinder, several CV joints, horn malfunction, plus general maintenance. Overall this is typical for any car over a 70k mile span of time. The EX four cylinder has enough pep, but is not a performance engine. Manual transmission helps extract the most juice out of this powerplant. The interior is spartan but enjoyable. Instrument layout is intuitive and easy to use. Legroom in front is surprisingly good for tall people. I love this car. It isn't flashy, but it's reliable day in and day out.

200K & It Won't Quit
By kSLC on 08/15/09 17:40 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Mechanically and with looks, this car is incredible. Over 200K and no oil leaks and looks like new. Doesn't burn oil, doesn't drip, doesn't show any sign of stopping any time soon. Worth twice what Detroit was putting out during that same time! I don't count myself as a Honda nut, but honestly, the engineering of this car is incredible. Planned obsolescence be damned. :)

Had to Sell Her
By Rachel on 03/25/09 07:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

Well, I was the only owner, and I had to sell her. I could not get the check engine light to stay off. I had the distributor changed, and that did not solve the problem. The code was P1382. The car was great until this problem came up. I finally got tired of trying to figure it out. I loved the design of this car, and I will miss her.

NOTHING but a worry
By Jenna on 02/20/09 18:26 PM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I've had nothing but problems. My dad bought this car for me 4 years ago from a woman that bought the car new. It currently has 127,000 miles and here are just a few of the problems. It takes forever to get the window to go up, often have the help push it up. Need a new muffler. Hesitates CONSTANTLY like its going to die, told it was the EGR (?) valve, paid to fix, still does it months later. Starter went out (normal, i guess?). ALL four signals do not work, went to mechanic and said fuses are good, so they need to run a diagnostic test for $90 for SIGNALS? Bizarre problems.

She is Getting Old - Still Going Strong!
By Rachel on 09/19/08 12:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Honda Accord new in March 1996. She has been a great car and currently has 137,600 miles. Besides regular maintenance, I had to change the master cylinder at 115K miles, CV joints/boots at 125K miles, and the distributor at 137K miles. I have had a total of $800 (parts and labor) in repairs. I highly recommend Honda Accords as this is my second Accord. I sold my first Accord with 196K miles (which was still running fine when I sold it).

Great Car
By Sayinala on 02/15/08 11:28 AM (PST)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I have bought from a private party, using for 5 years. I never had an issue. Runs great, love this model.

Second Times a Charm
By myhond on 04/16/07 15:02 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

This is actually my second Accord.I love the way this car performs and handles. All the controls are in the right place and the interior is in impeccable condition for a pre-owned vehicle. Gas mileage is great. Although it still doesn't have the same performance as my 2000 which I loved, it still comes in a very close second. The VTEC moves out when you mash on it effortlessly even with the automatic. And the ABS stops on a dime. After keeping it a for a few more years, I'm gonna get yet another Accord.

Happy Owner
By King on 09/17/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan

I sold a 2002 Ford Ranger, still under factory warranty to purchase a nine year old Honda Accord. I didn't see the point in paying so much more for the truck. I absolutely love my Accord. Maybe because I'm saving a lot of money on gas and monthly payments, or maybe just because it's a great car! When I purchased it, it had just over 100,000 miles and was in near perfect condition. I suspect it will last longer than the Ranger I sold that had 55,000 miles!