Used 1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Many many miles 325K
By jdwebb

1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I bought car8 years ago for daughter to have basic transportation in Chicago. She did not have place to park it so I started driving it. Bought for $200 with 218K in almost perfect running condition. Drove it to 325K with regular maintenance. Only oddity was the computer died. Had it rebuilt for $400 and drove it on. Sold it to high school student who is still driving it and still looks good. Other cars I have are Lexus, but if they go half the distance they will be considered a good car. Acccords of that era with under 200k are probably a great second car

best car I have owned
By arner

1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I have 427,000 miles on the Accord and have not had any major problems. I change oil at 7000 miles and use whatever I can find on sale. This car is a keeper.

Suggested Improvements

The cruise control is not sensitive enough to keep the car from speeding up after cresting a hill. Usually gains 3 or 4 mph before backing off. Other Hondas I have had did the same. Engine light comes on, and when checked, nothing is wrong and light does not come on again for 6 months

Will not die
By adasil2

1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I bought my accord (LX, 4 cylinder, automatic) upon graduating high school in 2004. It had 113,000 or so miles at that time, and it's been my only car until now (2013), and now sits at 247,000 miles. I have driven it all over the country, and cannot believe it's still in such great condition. Minor repairs, a new paint job in 2009, and that's it. I have never heard of another car this reliable, and I would highly recommend it if you can find one to purchase!

Amazing First Car! 100% Recommended!
By freestylin

1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

I got this car in December 2012 and ever since have been extremely happy with it. In terms of reliability, nobody can beat Honda. I have had no problems with this car, and that's pretty amazing considering the car is as old as me. I am definitely going to be a loyal Honda buyer from now on. As soon as this car dies, I will simply buy another one. I recommend this car to anyone who needs reliable and economical transportation at a good price. Btw, mine has 170,000 kilometres on it (something like 105,000 miles) on the 2.2L engine and no rust on the outer body.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency. I can get 500 kilometres out of a tank from just city driving. That's pretty impressive considering it has such a small gas tank. I actually really like the exterior styling of the car, to me it looks newer than a 1996. I have also grown to love the burgundy paint colour.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. There is absolutely nothing I can think of that would improve this car beyond it's already stellar performance. The engineers at Honda really hit a home-run with this car.

Has its troubles
By Dp

1996 Honda Accord 25th Anniversary 4dr Sedan

Bought with bad rotors, breaks, bad front tires and cracked radiator, 600$ out the door to begin with. Fixed it all up and its been some what reliable. A year later, had to have the head gasket resurfaced. Mechanic said that the 96+ years have a problem with the head gasket. That cost me another 1200, recently, the car has been chugging the radiator fluid, but the lines/hoses are new and radiator is sealed up tight. Still unresolved problems with loss of radiator fluid. Ill top her off and when I park it after a drive, it will overflow or dump about 1/3 of the fluid on the street and it only happens the one time I top it off. Wish I got a Tacoma. I prob got one of a few lemon accords.

Favorite Features

Got a newer headunit the week I purchased the car, love it, stock speakers come alive with new headunit, good base, good tonal range for stock speaker set.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing much, just wish I didn't get the lemon