Used 1996 Honda Accord LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Accord - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Fun Car - Buy Accord not Camry
By ernie_8000

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

1996 Accord LX (no VTEC) with over 235,000 miles. The car has been to Lake Tahoe, to LA and long distance trips (over 300 miles). car still runs really well (except engine is a bit louder than it was when new - which is understandable). Great chassis, ample seating for 5 (cars nowadays are too large). When driving highways, gets around 32 mpg. When primarily city, gets around 23 mpg.

Favorite Features

Really fun to drive considering it has only 130 hp and 139 lb-ft torque. The car never feels slow, as long as you are willing to rev the engine a bit while merging onto highways with short ramps. Wish newer Honda's maintained this generations fun-to-drive factor instead of being more Toyota-like in plushy ride. - Manual transmission shifter has solid feel (not light but nicely weighted) - double wishbone front suspension - rear multi-link rear suspension (Camry's have single arm Macpherson struts - cheap) - real hydraulic power-assisted steering (not electric) which makes for lots of road feel - a must - great visibility (lower beltline on the side) (low dashboard)

Suggested Improvements

Nothing. A bit of body roll when turning really fast (but that's like turning a 25 ramp at 45 mph). Air conditioning is a bit weak considering that summer is really hot in CA and my car is black (which doesn't help either)

Best work car I have ever owned
By spenc618

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my mint condition 1996 Honda Accord that was traded in at a dealership in 2005. I have replaced the brakes, a brake line (63 dollars installed), starter (25 buck that i installed) and clutch actuator (13 bucks) over the past 6 years. All repairs were less than 400 bucks total. I only wish the power window motors were faster. Mine is stock but minor tuner stuff can easily make it faster if your into that stuff. If you find one with a good body and interior.. buy it.. fixing it will be cheap! $2000 for a 210 hp Japanese Spec Engine. 100 hp over US spec stock.

Favorite Features

Reliable, GREAT gas mileage, maintenance cost so low feels like i am stealing.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of a thing!

I will only ever buy Hondas
By Festis

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

This car is fantastic. I bought it with 100,000 miles on it and have not had one problem at all. It starts up every time, always purrs like a kitten, accelerates quickly, and is incredibly mechanically sound. Handles great in the snow, and responds quickly to steering. Its accessories are kinda on the sketchy side, but all the doors lock and all the Windows work. All in all, a great little reliable car that's perfect for what I need. Not to mention its awesome gas mileage 14 years later. I will forever own hondas because of this car. The Japanese know what's up.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, reliable, good winter driving, accelerates great, gas mileage is awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The accessories could have been more refined. I've had to fix the air conditioner, but that's it. It really does run like a well-oiled machine.

Most reliable car
By forbidmourning

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 2 and a half years, it is now at just over 240,000 miles. I have taken it on a 22 hour drive back and forth from MI to TX a couple of times, and it still runs like it is brand new. I have never had any kind of issues with it at all. This is the most reliable car I've ever owned and I love it! Gas mileage is fantastic too. Would highly recommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability, trunk access from back seat, fold down back seats

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of anything for its price range

Keeps Chugging
By Abbey

1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 10 years. I finally had to have some major repairs done, to the tune of $2,500, but it has 246,000 miles. It is a reliable workhorse of a car. I would recommend buying this car, even with 200,000+ miles on it.

Favorite Features

Very good heater for the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements to the air conditioning system. It has not ever been a very cool car, but the heat works great!