Mine must be a lemon??
By jsalter on
1994 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan
I'm not sure what everyone else is raving about regarding how great and reliable this car is, because mine has been quite the opposite. I bought mine in 2007 with 98k miles on it from a friend who had just replaced the timing belt. Still, over the past 5 years, I have replaced more things on this car than I ever have on any of my other vehicles I've ever owned. I've owned 3 Hondas in the 90s, 2 Toyotas in the 90s, 2 Nissans 80s, a Volvo 90s, and a Pontiac 80s. This was the worst car out of all of them.
Favorite Features
One of the my main problems with this car is the difficulty in repairs. For example, when you need to replace the brake pads, it's good to turn the rotors. However, with this car, you need a special tool to remove the rotors and so if you take it to a shop, they charge you extra for this. This car is by far the most difficult I've ever worked on myself in doing simple mainenance. Everything is very compact in the engine and hard to reach. If you don't have tools that can bend and go around obstacles, you either need to take off many other things to get to the problem, or take it to someone and pay more in labor charges.
Suggested Improvements
This was the 1st year Honda changed the design of the Accord and I have promised myself never to buy another car again that is a first design. Let them sort out the kinks first and fix the issues. I've spent more hours and money on this car with more headaches than I can account for. My wife drives a 2000 Accord and it's so much easier to work on and without nearly the amount of problems I have had. And sadly, my car has less mileage and wear on it than hers. She still would like to stay with the Honda brand. But after this Honda, I may be going elsewhere.